Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Palm Box

Black Palm Box

Not sure I will do Black Palm again. Kind of nasty stuff to turn. It does look interesting though. This is another small box. The finial is number 2 and it is unfortunately a little shorter then was planned. I lost the last inch and bead at the top when parting it off. Not confident about turning these without tailstock support yet.

I used the vinegar & steelwool ebonizing treatment on the walnut parts. I think I may try making another finial that is a bit taller.

Last edited by Mark Hubl; 07-25-2010 at 3:18 AM.

2. Very nice and thoughtful selection of materials.

Oh wow..... that is , uhm well I really cant find the words to describe it greater than great...

The wood and the black finial are just a solid match...made in heaven..

The complete package is just, well, wonderful and awesome..

I wished I could do that sort of thing.... I still cant master a bowl.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Mark, I guess it is inappropriate for a viewer to say "worth the effort!" I didn't have to do the turning.

But, from here, this piece certainly appears to have been worth it!! Great little piece (not sure on the dimensions), and your "design opportunity" with the finial may have been fortuitous. The form is beautiful, and all appears to me to be in good proportions. A taller finial may not do the trick.

Very nice finish on the palm. I am not familiar with this wood, but it certainly has curb appeal, and the black accoutrements really make the piece.

BTW, the first finial I ever attempted with tailstock support - blew it in a zillion pieces when I tried to part it off. After that, I use the tailstock only briefly to hog off the bulk of the wood.

I like the height of the top. I think the piece is beautiful as is.

I think it's just grand as it stands. The shape/wood/finial..great combo.

Mark, that piece is beautiful
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Very nice piece. In total agreement with the others on the black finial. I'd be proud to have this piece sitting on my mantel.

I lost the last inch and bead at the top when parting it off. Not confident about turning these without tailstock support yet.
    The trick to doing this is to use a chuck, and start way out on the very end, working your way back to the base, never, ever, ever, ever, going back out to the end... That being said, the last few times I worked on one of these, I made several "blown" attempts before getting it right...

I think all you hollow form guys ought to get together and put together a book of pictures. These forms are definately art work. This one here belongs up close to the front. Beautiful in all respects.

Very , very nice Mark. I like the rounded top on the finial. It all makes for a very smooth flow to the piece, up one side and down the other.

That's a beauty Mark. What finish on the palm? Height of the finial is about right just as it is. Might want to do one with a slightly more delicate look just for comparison.
    Richard in Wimberley

12. Talking

Mark,
    I have used Black Palm for pens and it is one heck of a challenge, it seems the fibrous stuff is just ready to pop out of line and for me has been a real pain to cut dress and finish. The product you have produced I am in awe the Finial is very reminiscent of Richard Raffan with the finial detail. I join with others and say you handled the proportions nicely, any taller could lose it for mine. The Ebonising is matched by the superb Photographs, all in all you are a master craftsman. Congrats from here. Peter.

Mark, The finial IMHO is just perfect as and overall form is also perfect. I love the way palm looks but do understand it can be kind of a bugger. I have some big chunks that I harvested a couple of years ago. I might have to cut it into blanks and give it a go.

Thanks for sharing.

Alan

I ditto the above! Along with the superb form and finish, I especially like the way the collar and finial base, continually repeat the shape of the top of the piece... just stair-stepping your way up to the great finial. Excellence in art!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

very nice piece

I got a splinter just picking up a chunk of this stuff at Woodcraft, so I aint workin it. I think the turning gods were watching over this one, cuz Im with everyone who says "perfect".
    A lot of you folks are doing very nice stuff with ebonizing - that IS on my list to try.
    Keep it up,
    mj