Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Palm Box

Very nice. I love the look of palm... The endgrain areas are so unique. I like the proportions of the piece as a whole. I'd proudly display a piece like this one.

Ditto . . .

What everyone else said . . .

Awesome looking piece.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Very nice and well balanced. I dont think the finial needs to be any longer. Now you've scared me about chucking up the black palm blank I bought!

Mark that is a beauty. I really like the form and finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

very nice...

Thanks to all for the C&C and thank you for indulging me on these. I have a couple more small chunks to play with. I have some ebony to play with as well, knowing that it can be a bear. These are fun and challenging, wish I had tackled them a little sooner, well worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    I still cant master a bowl.
    Karl, Thanks for your comments. If you have noticed from my posts, bowls are not really in my comfort zone at this point either.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    BTW, the first finial I ever attempted with tailstock support - blew it in a zillion pieces when I tried to part it off. After that, I use the tailstock only briefly to hog off the bulk of the wood.
    John, I was going to ask if you were using the "full Drozda" method. I am jam chucking, but the tailstock is like a comforting blanky. I am glad it is there because design is still forced and a tweak here and there needed. I am going to have to try one with the tail stock off.

Size is similar to the last piece. This is only about 4/12" tall and 3 1/2" wide. A little chunkier than the last I posted, but a little thicker. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    What finish on the palm?
    The palm is only buffed with the Beall stuff. I put some MS on it and I thought that any finish would only muddle the palm. I also think the the light areas darken quickly, I believe they were lighter after first cutting but darkened over night. It seemed the contrast was greater when doing the piece, but I could be a little off my rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hay in Aus View Post
    I have used Black Palm for pens and it is one heck of a challenge, it seems the fibrous stuff is just ready to pop out of line and for me has been a real pain to cut dress and finish.
    Peter, Thanks and welcome. Palm is definetly a challenge. Can not image on a pen body. CA may be a great finish on this stuff. This piece does have some "blemishes", not so much tear out as disintegration.

Thanks Mark.
    Richard in Wimberley