Thread: laser levels

Question laser levels

My son in law asked for a laser level for christmas. Any recommemdations?
    peter in nj

I saw a new kind of level twice this past week. Once on QVC, and the other time at Sams Club.

This level automatically "level itself". It come with a tripod and when you set it up it will self level within 4degress (the one at Sams was 6 degrees). You can also hang it and it will self level, if you are hanging a ceiling. The price was about $45.00. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Of course, it's made in China.

I helped my son-in-law build a fence about three months ago and I had one of the laser level types. It took about 30 minutes to get the thing absolutely level each time we were shooting lines for posts, and we did not have a tripod. I would have given $45.00 just to have used it on that job. Here is a link to QVC.

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?...ss=&Submit4=Go

regards

john lawson

Smile Laser Level's

Celebrated 40th anniversay on Dec.1st. LOML had asked what I wanted as a gift.... but not tools, because you already have everything. So I mentioned maybe a laser level, figured that was safe. WRONG! I now own five of those critters. Seems she couldn't pick out which one was best, so she bought all the different types the big box had. I will keep two and swap the others for something else. The more I think of it the more I wish I had asked for new sharpening stuff, might have gotten the Tormek. Sure is a great women, hope to keep her another 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by john lawson
    I saw a new kind of level twice this past week. Once on QVC, and the other time at Sams Club.

This level automatically "level itself". It come with a tripod and when you set it up it will self level within 4degress (the one at Sams was 6 degrees). You can also hang it and it will self level, if you are hanging a ceiling. The price was about $45.00. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Of course, it's made in China.

I helped my son-in-law build a fence about three months ago and I had one of the laser level types. It took about 30 minutes to get the thing absolutely level each time we were shooting lines for posts, and we did not have a tripod. I would have given $45.00 just to have used it on that job. Here is a link to QVC.

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?...ss=&Submit4=Go

regards

john lawson
    John, 4 degrees isn't that great for accuracy it comes out to being off by 0.8" per foot. The self leveling sounds great but I think it's just a gimick.

Dean
    Just Remember.....No Matter Where You Go.......There You Are

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Baumgartner
    John, 4 degrees isn't that great for accuracy it comes out to being off by 0.8" per foot. The self leveling sounds great but I think it's just a gimick.

Dean
    Dean, I thought the 4 degrees was how far off of level the laser level could be and still level its self off???

BTW, I recently bought the B&D crossfire level. It projects a horizontal as well as a vertical line. The vertical line can be moved to intersect the horizontal line at a given point. It was around $100. I am using it indoors for hanging pictures, selves etc. It gives pretty satisfactory results. I am bothered by the fact that B&D does not quote any accuracy numbers. But given the technology, I expect it is orders of magnitude better than bubble levels, string lines etc.

Let us know what you settle on. Best of luck, Harish
    Thanks,

Harish

Can't talk to carpenter's levels because I don't have one.

But if I get one it'll sure be a lifetime Berger like this one I've used for the better part of a decade. 3/32" at 100'.

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

laser level

I have been using the PC level with the Laser Jamb pole for interior work. It was pricey but has work well for me.

I would be real weary of any that didn't quote accuracy numbers. Of the mass market laser levels I've seen, the range really isn't acceptable (to me). If they do quote number, stop and think if that's acceptable to you. 3/8" over 20' is not uncommon.

About two years ago I used one to hang wall paper border (in the middle of the wall). The paper was so crooked over the 14' wall, I pulled it off - but it was aligned perfected with the 'level'

Dean:

Yes, the 4 degrees I mentioned is how far out of level the legs of the tripod are sitting, and still self level. I have no idea what the tolereance or accuracy would be, but it would be pretty easy to check and if it's not satisfactory return it.

Just a thought, to be "self levelling" it must contain some kind of internal spirit device or mechanism. If that is the case it should be as accurate as any other spirit level. Someone with some real knowledge should get in here.

john lawson

10. Quote Originally Posted by john lawson
    Dean:

Yes, the 4 degrees I mentioned is how far out of level the legs of the tripod are sitting, and still self level. I have no idea what the tolereance or accuracy would be, but it would be pretty easy to check and if it's not satisfactory return it.

Just a thought, to be "self levelling" it must contain some kind of internal spirit device or mechanism. If that is the case it should be as accurate as any other spirit level. Someone with some real knowledge should get in here.

john lawson
    Based on looking at mine, it appears that the unit uses gravity to self-level. The laser (in my case 2 laser diodes) are mounted so they can move "float" to level. Much like a plumb bob on a string. How many degrees can be compensated for is a function of how much freedom the assembly has. My current thinking is that self-levelling is a must have feature for me. I want to be able to adjust the level up and down without having to recheck bubble vials etc.

I think the accuracy will have more to do with how tight a beam the laser has and the optics used to split it.

There are a lot of choices out there and you have to have a good idea of what you plan to use it for. I really did not see a reasonably priced (for me less than $250) laser that handled all of the tasks (one size fits all) I could see myself doing (projecting a vertical and horizonal line, evenually being able to set-up forms for building, etc.).

If I used it real often, there were some good choices in the $700 to 1000 range I would go buy.
    Thanks,

Harish

I picked up CST/Berger (good name) iLM self leveling cross beam unit for $50ish at the HD a couple of weeks ago.

It works great indoors but the beam would be a little weak outside. Claims an accuracy of 1/4" at 30' and that is enough for cabinet installs.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam