Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you get your custom BS blades?

Where do you get your custom BS blades?

I'm stuck in trying to decide on a bandsaw purchase. I'm looking at some of the grizzly options, but it seems like every saw they make uses a different, odd blade length. The G0457 uses 106" blades. The G0513 (which I finally figured out won't fit in my shop) uses 131 1/2. I can't seem to find these sizes at the usual retailers (amazon, Rockler, woodcraft). Carter says they will do custom lengths, I'm sure for a premium. Grizzly has blades but everyone seems to trash the OEM blades. At this point it looks like I'm headed for a traditional 14" saw so it probably doesn't matter, but I'm just curious what you guys use.
    Where did I put that?

Rob, in a large city like Atlanta, there will be many saw shops that make saw blades and sharpen them.

They will make any blade you want, for less money than buying it retail.

In addition the quality will be higher, and the selection be much more comprehensive.

I suggest an Internet or yellow pages search.

There's no point buying retail blades when you can get better custom made blades, locally.

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    I have never bought anything but "custom" length blades. I found that for equal quality, "custom" blades are actually less money than retail outlets (depending on your source and shipping).

Suffolk machinery makes the Timberwolf blades you hear everyone talk about. You have to order by phone and the folks are very helpful in matching a tooth pattern to your saw and needs. If you ask I believe they are still running the 'buy 3 get 1 free' deal. I use these on a G0513X and am very happy.

Ellis Saw gets good ratings and their blades are cheaper than Timberwolf but, they have a $50 minimum order. If you are ordering 3 or 4 blades for a larger saw, the minimum is no problem.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+1 for Timberwolf from Suffolk. Be sure to use the "buy 3, get 1 free".

John

I feel your pain on the odd blade length. One of mine uses a 93. 93.5 is way to big and allows for no adjustment later when blade stretches a little.

My other saw calls for a 59.5 but that also is to big because most retailers blades are longer than what they are supposed to be. I have taken blades otu of the packages and measured them and it just sux...

But trying to find a 59 inch blade retail is not super hard but finding one with proper tpi etc is a headache.

So as others have said I am thinking of going with something like timberwolf...
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Timberwolf great price and reliably good.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Have to agree with Rod Sheridan. I also purchase from a local tool dealer. They are cheaper, and worst case I have to wait till tomorrow to pick them up. Most tool tool stores make blades to order, and they all have access to the same bulk stock makers.
    Mike Harrison

interesting, thanks for the replies. Flipping through my old Wood magazines, I came across some Grizzly holiday sales on the G0457 with free shipping to boot. I may hold out for another Christmas sale, that one seems to have everything I want, but that's another thread...
    Where did I put that?

After searching here I went with Timberwolf direct from Sulfolk and have been quite happy.

Make my own

I have almost always made my own. I always had access to a blade welder when I taught and when I was an inspector. Just before retiring I bought a HF blade welder from a CL add. Only thing---their welder does not come with a grinder. Everything is there for it except the motor and wheel. Probably a UL or OSHA thing. I use a fixture on my belt sander for squaring the ends and a die grinder for grinding down the weld. My HF welder is 220v, but I have used a coulple at work that were 110v and they worked well. Maybe this is something your local woodworkers group or guild could purchase.

I have silver soldered blades in the past. It was not difficult and the results were good. It just takes some efforts and resources to get set up.

I know folks that have purchesed from Bobby at www.woodworkerstoolworks.com

Dan

Rob... I have the 457 and its a great bandsaw. I purchase my blades from my local saw sharpening shop. The first time I ordered from them, they asked me to confirm that it really was 106" telling me that they never made a blade that length(been in business since the 50s). When I explained it was a steel frame saw and nor a Delta clone with a riser, they were more than happy to make me anything I wanted. The blades have been excellent and reasonably priced.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

for my 179" blades i order from bandsawbladesdirect dot com. You can basically build your own blade on the site; enter your desired length, width, gauge, ppi, tooth pattern and they give you a price. they do one piece, bi-metal (hss tips) and carbide tips.

haven't used the timberwolf brand, maybe i'll check it out next time.

13. Bandsaw Blades

I purchased a small Craftsman bandsaw, using it with blade that came with it, the cuts where real rough. After reading online about Timberwolf, I ordered just one blade, thinking that it just couldn't make that much of a difference. It was like night and day, I even got a friend of mine to try just one and he was hooked.

Great Stuff.

Sulfolk. They are super helpfull and the prices are good. The still have the buy 3 get 1 free deal. You have to ask for it.

Timberwolf blades from Suffolk are great if you don't mind paying three times what they're worth. A place like Ellis or your local saw/welding/machine shop will sell blades that are just as good for much less money. In any length you want.