Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curly Maple Vase #3

Smile Curly Maple Vase #3

This curly Maple vase measures 8" high x 5" wide x 1/4" thick. Color is from RIT 'Kelly Green' clothing dye mixed with DNA (denatured alcohol). Sanded to 800 grit and has several coats of wipe-on gloss poly. Will wait for a week or so and then buff.

Curly Maple Vase #3 v1.jpg Curly Maple Vase #3 v2.jpg Curly Maple Vase #3 v3.jpg Curly Maple Vase #3 v4.jpg Curly Maple Vase #3 v5.jpg

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is so cool how the green allowed some of the natural colors to come through. I'm also intriqued by the direction of the curl....seems like an odd direction. I love this form you're doing Steve, and how the lip comes to a finer thickness at the very top. It almost seems like glass.
    It might be the photos, but it seems like you might have had a little trouble on the shoulder. Could just be me though.
    Really splendid piece!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

very nice Steve, the color is perfect
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Really like the green color. Any reason why one area seemed to absorb less of the dye than another.(other than the end grain) It looks almost as if there was a delineation between the heartwood and sapwood.
    I cut a dead maple a couple of weeks ago that was spalting but not in a particularly pretty way. May have to give this a shot to liven it up! Thanks for experimenting and posting!

Beautiful piece. The green really worked out well.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

6. perfect for a St. Patties Day introduction

Wow Steve!

What a unique piece. The form is good, the finish is just an art all to itself!

the green and the "glass" like finish are really complementary to one another and shows a great amount of creativity...I like it!

I have a few pieces of green maple, cut only a couple months ago, and seeing this makes me want to pull a piece out and just go for it and try this dye thing.
    Both yourself and John K. have shown the rest of us "creekers" what this dye can do if used. Thanks for expanding the knowledge base....I for one appreciate your displaying this .... once again, really unique. NICE!

amazing

Steve,
    That is just awesome! Very nice work, all around. If you can't find a use for it, it would look great in my office!
    carry on..........

Beautiful. I love the color and finish. You've certainly done some great things of late with that curly maple.

Blog Entries
    Steve, what a nice piece very interesting effect with the dye, great job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Steve, that's is great! I really like the green tint.

Beautiful Steve. The green gives it such a rich look.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice Steve. Love the way the dye enhanced the piece. Almost looks like rough planer marks. Nice shape.

I've been pretty colorblind all my life, but i can see that green without a problem. Really nice looking piece. The other 2 were nice also.. You got more coming???? .. Jerry (in Tucson)

Nice one Steve. The dye works well on maple. It's not easy being green. Time for me to try the w.o.p.
    Richard in Wimberley

Kermit will just love this piece.!!! Interesting shoulder & neck...thanks for sharing