Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palm router recommendations please...

Palm router recommendations please...

I'm wondering what you all would recommend for a small router about the size of...say...the Bosch Colt.

Thanks.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I have a variable speed Bosch Colt. Since I generally use it to spin small diameter bits, the variable speed turned out to be an unnecessary option for me. I haven't used any other brands, and never felt a need to. That doesn't mean there aren't other good ones out there.

+1 for the Colt

+2 Colt (great router and I needed to have more characters in my message)
    Wood'N'Scout

Blog Entries
    +3 on the VS Colt
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+ 4 on the Colt...

Don't even look at the Ridgid, it is a nice looking and feels good but the thing runs so hot you have to ware gloves to use it. I tried 2 of them and they were both the same.

I must say that I have found the depth adjustment and lock on the Colt to be a bit of a pain...seems like it could be designed better. That said, I generally just leave roundover bits permanently in mine and pick up whichever one I need.

FWIW, I've never had any of the collet issues that people often complain about with the Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    I'm wondering what you all would recommend for a small router about the size of...say...the Bosch Colt.

Thanks.
    I recommend the Bosch Colt. LOL. Seriously, I love mine for what it is, which is a reasonable palm router. Don't expect the world. Expect a small palm router for small palm router jobs

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I recommend the Bosch Colt. LOL. Seriously, I love mine for what it is, which is a reasonable palm router. Don't expect the world. Expect a small palm router for small palm router jobs
    I appreciate all of the responses. Seriously, as soon as I wrote the OP, I fully expected everyone to say the Colt. LOL

I really appreciate Bill's reveiw of the Ridgid.

John, you are right on in regards to expectations. Which is exactly why I asked the question to begin with. My thinking was why not go with the Ryobi?

or...this grizzly?
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Trim...tal-Body/H7790

or even this HF thing?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ter-44914.html
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Colt, or find a PC 310

I too like the Colt. If I was to be critical I would say that I don't like the high center of gravity. Maybe an aftermarket oblong base for it?

The only palm router I like better is the Porter Cable 310 which is discontinued. (but I've heard rhumors of its return). It's a great router with a low center of gravity and lots of jigs and accessories made for it. It doesn't have as much horsepower on paper, but I've never noticed it being short of power for what I use it for.

Scott in Montana

I have the HF

My Dad gave me the Harbor Freight version of the Harbor Freight Trim Router. See it here: http://bit.ly/cR6hbS . It worked great with 1/8" and 1/4 roundover bits. I was going to buy the Colt, but will stick with it until it blows or breaks.

I use my Colt primarily for inlays and secondarily for 1/8" roundovers. I find the variable speed very important on inlays depending on the hardness of the wood and the depth of cut. It also depends on the bit being used. I use a spiral upcut bit for clearing material and a spiral downcut bit for finishing the edges of the inlay. I've tried doing inlays with my Dremel, but I have so much more control with the Colt.

I too have the HF trim router. I would not buy it again if I were you. I went through 2-3 routers before i found one that did not have arbor runout. Some of it was so bad that I could not hod it firmly in hand., especially with the 1/2"D, 1"length flush trim bits. The longer the bit, the more the vibration.

bit 1/4" round over, it's fine. I won't go anything more than that.

I have the small MLCS router. I don't use it very often, but it's does a fine job when I need it. I comes several bases and attachments so it is a versatile tool. Good luck, Mike

Smile Bosch . . .

+ Bosch Colt

The installer's kit is really nice . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .