Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMC Art Challenge 2010 - Jeff Nicol

SMC Art Challenge 2010 - Jeff Nicol

Here are my 2 pieces for the art challenge, had to get them done before the deadline! The utility piece is a nice bowl turned from spalted Red maple, 11 1/4" x 3 1/2" natural danish oil finish buffed to a soft sheen. The art piece is a Spalted Hard Maple burl with voids and bark 12 1/2" x 8 1/2" with a vine "Growing" through it, I call it "JUNGLE SURVIVOR" it is also finished with danish oil and buffed out a bit. The total height is 39" and the base is 12x7 and is self supporting. I think it is fun!

More pics in another post.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

More pictures

Here are some of the art piece alone and random bowl pics.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Jeff, can't count the number of times I have sat in a treestand and wondered - "how in the world did that grapevine do that!!" This piece is really, really outside the box!! Very interesting wood, as well.

The bowl is just a classic piece on its own - beautifully done!

Nicely done on both, but the art piece is phenomenal. I love the creativity and the way it stands... It doesn't look like it should stand up which adds to the overall look. Great job.

Blog Entries
    Love em both Jeff the art piece is totally awesome, never seen one like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Pretty cool art piece even (especilly?) without the grape vine. Nice yard.
    Richard in Wimberley

Fun to make and cool to look at!

I picked up the vine a month or so ago at my Dad's place and thought it was great looking in the "S" shape. As I was finishing the hollowing on the burl the openings in the side got bigger and bigger, that is when I saw the vine hanging there and it just clicked in my head to make it look like the vine had grown through it! I have lots of great artsy ideas in my head but they get lost sometimes and are hard to get to the surface! The vine is kind of springy so it kind of bounces around when moved.

The beautiful yard is all my wife's doing, I put on the lime and fertilizer and she keeps all the weeds out and she loves mowing too! Her garden in the back ground is growing like crazy too! We have been eating fresh beans a few times a week and lots of cherry tomatos too. She has a big green thumb, and I love veggies!

Thanks for all the kind words, now if I can find someone who needs a bouncy vine thing for there collection!

Jeff

Both pieces are great. The bowl looks like it wants to be used and the art piece...just wants to be looked at. Excellent work!!

WOW!!! Now that is something you don't see every day, or ever. This is "ART", how could it be anything but! Your imagination and obvious talent has really come through on this piece. How many times did you sharpen your gouge through this to keep this together? I love the character in that burl, fits perfectly with the vine idea. The utility bowl is a very good looking piece also. An extremely well done example of Art/Utility. Thank you very much Jeff for joining in the challenge and posting these amazing turnings.

I am like the rest and can only say Wow. Really nice pieces Jeff.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Both are wonderful. Love the bowl, nice classic shape. The art piece is awesome. Voids like that just scare the heck out of me. Very cool.

Nice pieces. The bananna hanger is definitely an eyecatcher! I need to get up the nerve to try one of those half air pieces.

Well now that's an original! Pretty cool idea for a stand! Great chunk of burl! All the voids really add to the character of the piece! Nice work Jeff!

Really good looking bowl! Classic in every way!

Nice work on both turnings! Thanks for participating in the Challenge!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

You da man...........

Jeff,
    One piece dead ctr "in the box", and one "elsewhere".
    Beautiful work as usual. Good luck buddy!
    mj

Nice pieces Jeff...and your wife deserves ALOT of credit...

I must say, I was about to comment had someone else not done so...the pieces are very nice, and I now know what to do with some grapevine that runs off trees in my yard.

Yep...nice yard. Haven't had one of those in a while...kind of a pre-vortex sort of thing I expect. Wife and I haven't wanted to do diddly with our yard this year especially, as hot as it's been. Fortunately...you can't see our grass from the road.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!