Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cholla Cactus

Cholla Cactus

I recently received some Cholla Cactus from Jerry Marcantel. Thanks, Jerry!!
    I turned one piece as practice... it had one side of the form completely missing, and I blew it. However, it was kind of neat to see the tool while it was cutting.
    Cholla is hollow in the center, so I made a plug of Walnut, so the Chuck Jaws wouldn't crush it during the turning. It still will crush... it's very dry, and fragile.
    This little form is about 4' diameter, with a 1/2" foot. I hollowed it as thin as I dared... about 3/8 - 1/2 inch. I then refined the walnut plug a bit, and glued it in place.
    Really dusty while turning... this is soaked in Danish Oil... it's not cured yet, so it hasn't been buffed out. The areas that were sanded will shine like a new dollar, when complete.
    I had fun turning it.
    Don't have room to leave it, (and didn't have time to set up) the tent. So these are bridge shots.
    C&C welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Allen:

That is very cool. It would be interesting to put a light or candle inside. Nice job.

That's really cool stuff. Good Job!!

Thumbs up

Love it. Great job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Nice and something different.I like it.
    Donny

Very cool. I've got a piece I turned from some cholla that I got from Jerry... I need to find it and post it.

Blog Entries
    Very cool I agree about the light inside might be kind of cool looking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

I can relate to that....

Interesting.... proves if you can chuck it up you can turn it! Definitely south of my stomping grounds firmly into the Sonoran desert.
    Good use of the brain in figuring out how to make it work. Everyday, someone shows me something new around here. Thanks!
    mj

Pretty neat Alan. It must have been challenging, but sure will make a conversation piece. If you are that hard up for turning material, you better get back to Texas for SWAT.

Now that is something different! Pretty neat!

Thumbs up

Al, Hmm very unusual from a down under perspective. We have some cactus but not good for turning.
    Looks like a a bit of a challenge, porous and stringy plus dusty to boot.

Think you might have earned your dollar on this one. Nice one
    neil

The wooden Potter

Allen that is way cool. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Neighbors View Post
    I recently received some Cholla Cactus from Jerry Marcantel. Thanks, Jerry!!
    I turned one piece as practice... it had one side of the form completely missing, and I blew it. However, it was kind of neat to see the tool while it was cutting.
    Cholla is hollow in the center, so I made a plug of Walnut, so the Chuck Jaws wouldn't crush it during the turning. It still will crush... it's very dry, and fragile.
    This little form is about 4' diameter, with a 1/2" foot. I hollowed it as thin as I dared... about 3/8 - 1/2 inch. I then refined the walnut plug a bit, and glued it in place.
    Really dusty while turning... this is soaked in Danish Oil... it's not cured yet, so it hasn't been buffed out. The areas that were sanded will shine like a new dollar, when complete.
    I had fun turning it.
    Don't have room to leave it, (and didn't have time to set up) the tent. So these are bridge shots.
    C&C welcome.
    I love it Allen , jumping Cholla Cactus ??, must have been a good size to get the woody part that big, I've got a small one here, these things are mean

Very nice form with all those openings in there, well done
    Have fun and take care

Would make a good Jack-O-Lantern. Never seen anything like this, pretty cool!

That stuff looks so neat!!! I would just be bound to fill all the voids with contrasting material of some sort. There look to be endless possibilities!! Does it glue well? Is the inside completely hollow before turning?

So many questions!! Wish you hadn't posted this, Allen!!!! I had seen this in pens before, but this chunk conjures up visions in my head!