Thread: Fish Tank Plans 125 gallon

Cool Fish Tank Plans 125 gallon

Looking to build a fish stand for a 125 gallon tank. Does anyone have plans for one? I want to make sure that the base will be strong enough and appreciate any ideas on how to keep it water resistant, as with any tank over the years they do get wet

Just visit PetSmart or some other pet store. Despite the considerable weight they bear, stands are pretty simple affairs and you'll be able to puzzle out a design. However, unless you need something specific in the way of finish or design, you may find that it's much better to just buy one.

If you still want to build one, though, get the tank first then design around it

The most important part is to make the bottom flat. Any bumps or sags can cause a pressure point that could potentially crack the glass. You'll find if you look at pet store models that they're pretty basic to build. Typically, they're plywood with solid wood or plywood strips that the tank rests on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    The most important part is to make the bottom flat.
    I think what Ben means is make sure the bottom of the tank stays flat. The entire weight of the tank rests on its edges, so make sure the side supports don't flex.

I'm working on a tank stand for a 75 gallon now...it's been a slow go as I figure it out on the fly. Here's what I based the structure of the stand on:

http:// reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1169964

I put lightly stained birch ply on the inside, hardwired it (with GFI and extra outlets, some of them switched for easy shutoff of filters for maintenance), then applied cherry raised end panels, faceframe, and raised panel doors. I put a bullnose top edge on, and need to finish some cherry crown that I'm making to finish it off. All that's really left is to sand and finish, then it's on to building the hood. I'm hoping to finish the base in the next couple weeks and I'll be sure to post pics of that...please keep us in the loop on your build.

Edit: also had this link bookmarked as a inspiration...apparently I violated the TOS, but I'll post it the way that Bruce edited my link (remove the space after the // to make it work)

http://eventhorizons.wordpress.com/2...quarium-stand/
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-27-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Deactivated link, remove space after // after copying to browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Sallyards View Post
    Looking to build a fish stand for a 125 gallon tank. Does anyone have plans for one? I want to make sure that the base will be strong enough and appreciate any ideas on how to keep it water resistant, as with any tank over the years they do get wet
    Sorry I don't have plans that I can put on here, (no scanner, and I don't remember where the drawings/sketches are either) but here's some details AND pics (further down in the thread) of one I built a few yrs back for a 135 gal tank for my computer GURU, (who now also owns a large Fish Store). This one was for his home.

Admittedly, I overbuilt it but don't regret it as it has held up perfectly thus far. The last post on page 2 of the thread shows the underside of the base and the "Beefing Up" that I did there.
    The sliders were cut from a cheap UHMW cutting board I bought at HF.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39064
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 07-27-2010 at 9:28 PM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

I know this isn't responsive, but fwiw, I see fish tanks and stands on craigslist constantly, for cheap cheap cheap. Lots of people buy tanks and then find they don't have the patience or care to really do what it takes to maintain a system. As a fish fan myself, I know what is involved. It's a lot of work. Anyway, if you poke around CL you'll find a ton of fish tank setups for sale, for practically give-away prices.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    As someone mentioned, it’s not rocket science. Just build it stout and flat.
    I made this for my 110 gallon out of 8/4 red oak and shot it with 5 or 6 coats of lacquer.
    It’s about 12-15 years old and has held up well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Sketchup drawing of a 75gal tank I built recently. 8/4 cherry.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...6&d=1258259769

~mark
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 07-27-2010 at 10:44 PM.

I have made stands for everything from 10 gallons to 400 gallons. It isn't hard to overbuild, 4 vertical SYP 2x4s will (way) more than support a glass 125, water, rock etc. So you really aren't limited much by design if you plan to have a closed stand. For all my large tanks I tended to build a SYP interior frame then build a cosmetic face around it, made the engineering part easy and allowed most any wood or design to be used on the faces.

Cliff you are correct if it is a glass tank, if it is plexi it will have a flat bottom that needs flat support.

Sealing is another story and is much easier if it is a freshwater tank, brakish or salt makes it a little harder and can be compounded by the type and location of the filtration as well as the "openess" of the top of the tank.

Thanks to All

Thanks to all who replied. I will take the info from your messages and lay out my plans for my tank stand. I plan to add a lift support for the top so that you do not have to hold the lid or lean it against the wall as you work on the tank, leaving both hands free.

Again Thank you all for your messages....

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    As someone mentioned, it’s not rocket science. Just build it stout and flat.
    I made this for my 110 gallon out of 8/4 red oak and shot it with 5 or 6 coats of lacquer.
    It’s about 12-15 years old and has held up well.

By the way...nice stand and tank!
    -Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.