Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Mortise Machine - Part II

Dedicated Mortise Machine - Part II

To continue the previous thread about mortise machine, thought I would take it in a maybe different direction.

The question I have been pondering as I "DREAM" about a dedicated mortiser, is: which is better for both mortising and general use, a floor/bench mortiser, the Domino, or the Leigh FMT? They are seem to be about the same price as long as I am not comparing the Domino and FMT to high priced floor models.

There was a recent review in Woodworker's Journal (Aug 2010) on benchtop mortisers, butI am not sure about the author's opinion. I do like reviews when they have the top rated tool and also the top value tool, knowing that most of us work under a budget. In reading this review numerous times, I get the distinct impression that he selected the Shop Fox based on the price as he calls it his "best bet". But with not much difference in actual price (vs percent) between most of the models, I would like to know which tool he really preferred if somebody would give him one. I got the "feeling" it was the Powermatic, but ...

Jim,

I read that article, and I chose not to reply to your first thread, as I have never owned nor used a dedicated mortiser...

But my impression of the article was that if you want to spend the money, go for the PM, but if you want to get bank for the buck, you would be happy with the Shop Fox...

I own the FMT (pro) and a bench top General, and I use both of them.

The FMT is great because you can easily do compound M&T's, loose M&T's, etc. The downside is working with long stock that you mount vertically. Often times, you’ll have to get creative. It also has dust collection. I have mine hooked up to my cyclone. Lastly, I have an extra plunge base for my router. IMHO, this is a must have option… but it adds to the cost.

The General is a great machine… but it lacks dust collection… but you can cut square holes in any direction and you are not limited by your guide selection (FMT).

I do not have the Domino and I do not have any plans to get one.

IMHO, the FMT is a better machine… but it will set you back a lot of cash.

Blog Entries
    Hi James,

As far as a hollow chisel mortiser goes, to me, the larger floor models are much preferable to a benchtop mortiser. It will have a bigger motor, table, and a better clamp. As far as which one to buy maybe you could see them up close to help make your selection.

I have a Powermatic 719A and I coudnt be happier with it. Powermatic is making the 719T these days that has a tilting table.

Mortise and Tenon Joints are my favorite. My mortiser is one of my go to tools. Used on most of my projects.

Good luck with it.

PHM

I have the most recent Delta benchtop hollow chisel mortise and it gets the job done only I would hate to have to use it frequently.

My next tool will likely be a domino because it looks easy to use and fast.

Then if I need a M&T joint larger than the domino then I go back to the cheapo benchtop mortiser.

Based on the sort of things I build, a Domino more suits my small workshop and needs than a full size dedicated mortiser.

I hate to do this because it makes me the odd man out but I have a Jet bench top mortiser that I bought used and to be honest with you for making 99 percent of the stuff I do it will get the job done very well. I hear people complaining about the hold downs on all of the bench tops but for me the chisel just pops right out of the hole with no pressure at all. Also I can't imagine needing more horsepower either. Sure it would be nice but I just don't think it is a need. Again though, I appear to be one of the few people that is completely happy with my bench top machine. All that having been said, before I go to sleep every night, I wish that I would be able to come up with a reason to justify buying a domino because that looks like hands down the quickest, easiest , and best way to do mortise and tenon.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 07-27-2010 at 7:44 PM.

I have the General International benchtop and it's a good machine, consistently rated at the top, and it is more money.

No surprises there.

For Arts and Crafts furniture, square holes are pretty much the de facto standard, for hidden mortises, who would know?

A slot mortiser is a great machine, more money again.

I don't want a noisy dust spewing router, so jigs like the FMT are out for me.

The hollow chisel mortiser is clean and quiet, the slot mortiser slightly noisier and messier.

Regards, Rod.

Laguna sells a slot mortiser for about $1k... Not a bad deal. I know very little about the machine, though I've seen a few reviews on this board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXNO0xdocAA
    Over 35 I've used all types from the Maka, Chainsaw, Chisel and the Domino. The horizontal slot mortiser is the fastest and most versatile.

The Shop Fox has been living on my Amazon wish list for quite a while. Biggest things in it's favor (other than decent reviews), more HP and a longer handle (more leverage). major con, and I'm not sure how big a difference this is, it run double the RPMs of the Delta and similar models.

I've never operated a dedicated mortiser, so I have no first hand feeling for how the RPMs influence everyday operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    The Shop Fox has been living on my Amazon wish list for quite a while. Biggest things in it's favor (other than decent reviews), more HP and a longer handle (more leverage). major con, and I'm not sure how big a difference this is, it run double the RPMs of the Delta and similar models.

I've never operated a dedicated mortiser, so I have no first hand feeling for how the RPMs influence everyday operation.
    I had, and got rid of my Shop Fox mortiser since I ended up hating the faster running of the machine. Even with careful setting of the chisel to bit clearance, you can get more of the metal on metal noise from the spinning bit inside the chisel, and any extra runout of the spindle will only make this worse. When you speed up the process versus the slower mortisers out there via a faster motor, you can imagine how things go wrong from there. I highly recommending hearing one run BEFORE you buy it. Or at least hear the other benchtop units at a local store near you so you have a benchmark of noise level when you get your Shop Fox[if you buy one] Just my two cents,pre-tax...

Research this via Fine Woodworking

Sometime in the last couple of years, they went head to head testing on how many ways you could make a mortise joint via a regular mortiser, a slot tool or another , specialized machine or two that they also tested. It was great to see all the machines out there that aim to do the same work, but approach it differently. Search their archive for the article on-line. I'll try to remember and look it up myself if you don't have an account with FWW. Let me know if you need to see this article.

Callan, I read that article and probably have it filed away - I tear out and file all articles on tool testing "just in case" I need to purchase one. I was trying to get an opinion from the creek on people who have used more than one of them.

The Domino seems to be very easy to use and flexible, like a biscuit jointer but better for joints. The FMT seems to be an expensive solution for what I would call a "jig" but people swear by them, and they do both the tenon and mortise. And the floor mortisers should do an excellent job of just the mortise.

Other uses!

I bought a PM floor model some years ago. Shortly thereafter they came out with the tilt head models which I wish mine had. It's a nice addition to a shop. What amazes me is the uses for it other than mortises for joinery such as creating square holes for square headed bolts or using it as a drill press for rapidly indexed holes side to side via the stops and moving table. I put mine on a rolling base so I can bring it out for greater access and and easier clean up around it. The heft and solid construction seem to add to its performance.

This is a tough question because each of the mahines has its positives and negatives. If money was no object I would get a Multi-Router...

I am one that feels if you use it often a floor standing machine makes a lot of sense and the PM719 can be had for $750 shipped when they go on sale for 15% off and it is my favorite until you get to a good quality slot mortiser, but that will run you 3 times as much.

I love the Domino but see it is a different tool for mostly different jobs.

The FMT I have only played with but it seems to overlap what I have and so I never really considered it much.

If it were me I would get a floor standing General or PM and then later if the desire and money were there consider a Domino, together they give a HUGE array of options.