Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A3-31 questions

Fair comment Doug - the scheme I described is the provisional plan, but it's not yet been done.

I'm on the Roubo trail Eiji (my current is a home made general purpose soft wood job on steel brackets), although the design in the Chris Schwarz book is the one (but with a thicker top) in mind so far with the top as close to 5in as I can get out of the planer from my stock...

ian

Fair comment Doug - the scheme I described is the provisional plan, but it's not yet been done or even worked through in detail. The main thought behind it is that planers seem to need as much suck as they can get to grab the fine dust - and even a local restriction sharply reduces airflow..

I'm on the Roubo trail Eiji, although the design in the Chris Schwarz book is the basis of the one in mind so far but with the top as close to 5in as I get out of the planer...

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 07-28-2010 at 7:16 PM.

I bought two cast iron extensions when I bought my KF700SP (Felder for those who haven't memorized the catalogs ) last year and found them so useful I added Aigner Mounting Rails (very inexpensive) to almost every machine I own.
    My planer foot print got smaller because the extensions don't live on the machine anymore unless needed.

The Aigner Mounting Rails are available through Rangate, Martin, or Simantech and are really reasonably priced for what you get.

Good luck and you'll love the European machinery. John

I got 1 m of 120mm hose from Felder and then used an Oneida 120mm to 6 inch reducer to connect to my 6 inch trunk line. It works great.

Scot

5. Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    has anyone modified or changed there a3-31 to use 6" port?
    I used an old 2 quart poly bottle. Itmade the transition nicely.

Can you send a direct link to the Aigner Mounting Rails you used? Are they "universal" or specifically made for the Felder/Hammer extensions? Pictures would be helpful. Built an extension out of phenolic and Baltic birch last night but the cast iron table end actually has an angle to it. No idea why but I just have to figure out an easy way to mount the homemade extension now.

Mike,
    Felder uses what they call the F-Rail on their cast iron tables (saws, planer, jointers, etc.). The Aigner mounting rails are very close and work fine for the extension tables.
    I've attached a picture of my jointer with one extension table and the page from the Aigner catalog.
    I purchased them from Greg Godbout at www.rangate.com.

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

so it arrived friday and been busy setting it up (mostly just verifying everything is good) only thing that has need adjustment so far is the fence was not 90 degrees (it is now). will being going to the borg today to get some plugs and wire, then i'll finish setting it up and doing the test cuts.
    as for the hand wheel it seems to work backwards. as you raise the planer table the number is increasing (shouldn't it decrease)?
    as for the zambus casters i know now why everybody that has used them likes them so much. i have never had something that heavy been so easy to move.
    for dust collection i just made an adapter that fits the six inch hose and slips snugly on the port of the a3-31.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    as for the zambus casters i know now why everybody that has used them likes them so much. i have never had something that heavy been so easy to move.
    Old thread, I know. I have an A3-31 waiting for me as well as a mobility kit. Which Zambus casters did people buy for their A3-31, and do these mount directly or does the base need to be modified ? Would they work as well on a slightly uneven and bumpy floor as the mobility kit ? By how much can the leveling feet compensate ?

I have a pretty limited space and the casters seem like they would afford more mobility.

Thanks !

ac-300. much better mobility than the felder/hammer kit. there are holes that are on the base and just need to be slightly enlarged. might have to drill one from scratch don't rember off the top of my head. the ac-300 work great on uneven floors (like mine) they will lift the wheel off the ground by about 10mm or so. i can spin my a3-31 in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Colin Mark View Post
    Old thread, I know. I have an A3-31 waiting for me as well as a mobility kit. Which Zambus casters did people buy for their A3-31, and do these mount directly or does the base need to be modified ? Would they work as well on a slightly uneven and bumpy floor as the mobility kit ? By how much can the leveling feet compensate ?

I have a pretty limited space and the casters seem like they would afford more mobility.

Thanks !
    I've got the Zambus under my MM16 bandsaw and they work really well. However, Zambus prices are a bit steep compared to equivalent ones offered by Great Lakes caster which a lot of folks have used and posted positively about. For my A3-31 I ended up going for the ratcheting type, just to ease the amount of time required bent over futzing with the normal adjusting wheel required to raise/lower the foot. I got mine here
    http://www.clevelandcaster.com/produ...6&idcategory=3
    Whether Zambus, Great Lakes, or Footmaster, you'll have to slightly enlarge 2 holes then drill 2 additional holes in the base. I had mine hoisted up on blocks with an engine hoist and it took me maybe 30-40 minutes to get the casters installed.
    The mobility kit wouldn't work for me as it only steers from the wide dimension. My setup would have required that the Johnson bar setup steer from the narrow end. With the casters it doesn't matter.
    Use the fence Luke

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...31+mobile+base

As Doug indicated the Hammer mobility kit moved the machine in the wrong direction for me also.

I built the mobile base illustrated in the above thread so that it raises the machine only about 1/2" above the floor. This works great for me as I'm short.......Regards, Rod.

I bought the Rockler All-Terrain mobile base for my Hammer A3-31. I am 5'8" (and shrinking), and did not want to raise the bed any more than necessary. The Rockler base probably raises the height be about 1 inch. The large diameter wheels are great, and the A3-31 moves very easily for a 600 lb machine.