Thread: Mystery Vise

Mystery Vise

I know alot of you have seen and been around some old hardware.
    I procured this vise from a friend, and now I am wondering if anyone has any information on it. I am wondering if I could use it as some kind of wagon vise. These pictures I have attached were hastily taken this AM, but on one side where there is a cutout, the are some threaded holes.
    If this should go in the workshop forum, let me know, and I will try to get it moved.
    Thanks
    Alot

I haven't seen that one,but the round handle doesn't seem like it would offer the leverage of a straight handle. I wonder if it's original?

Is the front jaw welded on? I hope not. Cast iron doesn't weld well.

I don't know about enough leverage, that handle is larger than the benchcrafted handle, and I think people are doing fine with their work holding there.

The whole thing appears to be original, I can maybe get some better shots tonight.

Looks quite similar to the ones Studley used on his bench.

Wes, thanks very much for catching that. I was able to find one picture of studleys, and lo and behold, my vise looks alot like it. I think we are going to media blast it and paint it (nickel plating is really out of the budget), then mount it to my bench, which is a primitive setup of (2) 12" x 4" x 96" pine slabs doweled together on 4 x 4 legs and a 2 x 6 frame.
    I've attached a link to the picture I found.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NrLnumDfM9...dley+bench.jpg

Try posting in the Neander forum. It doesn't have a cord, so they may know what it is......