Thread: How do you edit a threads title?

Question How do you edit a threads title?

I am told that thread originators can now do this. But, I can't figure out how to do it. Help please.

Blog Entries

Only Guessing

When I open up a thread for editing, there is a blank line in the edit form for "Title". Have you tried typing in that space?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

New Title 4 Reply!!

Lee is pretty close!! The originator of the post can change the title by opening the "FIRST" post in the thread and changing the text in the "TITLE" box.

You must go to the original post to do this. You can put new titles on reply messages using the method that Lee describes; but the original title will not change.

For people who are inclined to put new titles on replies, if there is some strong reason to do it, go ahead; but it can be confusing to those who are following the thread as it makes it appear as if there are two threads!!!

I have put a new title on this reply as an example!!

That's exactly the way that I tried to change the tread's title in the thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/editpost...tpost&p=122659, but it did not work. Only the title of the first message chaged.

Correct!!! The titles on the individual replies will not change. But if you go back and look at thre forum index, I think you will find that the thread title will have changed there as the index takes its information from the title on the first post.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    Correct!!! The titles on the individual replies will not change. But if you go back and look at thre forum index, I think you will find that the thread title will have changed there as the index takes its information from the title on the first post.
    Why do you say "correct"? Here is what I did in the referenced thread:

(1)The original title for the thread was: Seeking advice re Laguna TS table saw

(2) I edited the first post in order to change the title to: Seeking advice re Laguna TS table saw and LT16 bandsaw

(3) The title for the thread has not been changed accordingly. It remains: Seeking advice re Laguna TS table saw

Exclamation Editing a Thread Title

Warning, this is a bit complicated:

The thread title isn't pulled from the title of the first post--they're two separate entries in the database.

When you start a thread, the title you create is separately copied to both the thread and the first post. Currently, the thread originator can change the title of the thread for 30 minutes by simply editing his post title, should the originator change his/her mind. After that time, the thread title remains fixed and only the title of the first post can be edited.

Editing of titles on threads is typically a moderator function.
    However, I've extended the editing of thread titles by members to six months.

To recap, thread titles can be changed by the thread originator by changing the title of his/her first post, currently for up to six months.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Sorry for misleading you, Frank. I misread your reply and thought you said the title "HAD" changed. This board works a bit differently than others that I have experience with so my info wasn't entirely accurate. I see that Aaron has posted the "straight skinny" and your problem should now be resolved.

Another thing you have to watch out for, is the length of your title. Don't know what the situation is here; but many boards limit the length of the title to a certain number of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Warning, this is a bit complicated:

The thread title isn't pulled from the title of the first post--they're two separate entries in the database.

When you start a thread, the title you create is separately copied to both the thread and the first post. Currently, the thread originator can change the title of the thread for 30 minutes by simply editing his post title, should the originator change his/her mind. After that time, the thread title remains fixed and only the title of the first post can be edited.

Editing of titles on threads is typically a moderator function.
    However, I've extended the editing of thread titles by members to six months.

To recap, thread titles can be changed by the thread originator by changing the title of his/her first post, currently for up to six months.
    Thanks for changing this time limit Aaron. I tried making the change, and it worked.