Thread: Need planer

Question Need planer

I currently have a DeWalt 735. I've had it since they were first released. A ton of wood has been sent through that machine. Sprockets broke which i have found out is not that uncommon. I was going to replace it with a new as the repair has to be siginificant (two sprockets, two rollers a chain and the labor to do it!). I would like to hear some suggestions for a alternative planer in that price range $600. thanks.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I bought the Steel City 13 inch with a helical head. Basically the same machine as the rigid. I have been very happy with its performance.

+1 on the SC helical. I've chatted with two other people who've bought one and they're both very pleased.

You have found what the life of a lunchbox planer is under heavy use. You can reasonably expect the same from another. Even if you do repairs yourself, motor or bearings may soon follow. Sell off the lunchbox for parts, and use the cash toward a more heavy duty planer. Too bad you are not in the neighborhood; I have a nice old Delta RC33 workhorse for sale @ wayy less than $650.

IMO, find a used Grizzly 15" planer. Those are in that price range on CL! The asking price may be higher than $650, but the seller may take less!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

After seeing 2 or 3 of these units at a local repair shop with broken plastic gears, I knew then that I did not want one of these machines, regardless of the rave reviews in the magazines. Something this critical should be made of a more solid metal material, even if the manufacturer was looking for a way to manufacture the machines in a more economical manner.
    I had a Ryobi benchtop planer that served me well for a number of years until I got a combo J/P machine.

Given a new Grizzly 15" G0453P is ~$1050 delivered the ONLY reason I would consider a lunchbox is if I absolutely did not have the room or the extra $400 was a no go.

Blog Entries
    I would like to hear some suggestions for a alternative planer in that price range $600.
    You should be able to find a used 3-5HP floorstanding planer in that price range...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    After seeing 2 or 3 of these units at a local repair shop with broken plastic gears, I knew then that I did not want one of these machines, regardless of the rave reviews in the magazines. Something this critical should be made of a more solid metal material, even if the manufacturer was looking for a way to manufacture the machines in a more economical manner.
    I had a Ryobi benchtop planer that served me well for a number of years until I got a combo J/P machine.
    Sometimes plastic gears are used as a failsafe to keep you from breaking more expensive parts. I can't say whether or not that's correct in this particular case, but there are certainly machines where that's true.

Craiglook.com

I did a search for "Planer" on Craiglook.com within 150 miles of Fredericksburg, VA and it came up with 5+ pages of results. There is/was a 15" Jet Planer for sale in Hampton, VA for $450.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/1850112143.html

Don't know if this will fit your needs......

Bill

Byron

Find a used 15"-20" floor standing planer. You should be able to find a nice one if you're willing to spend $600.00. You will not wear out a 15"-20" planer as a hobbiest woodworker.
    Most of them are virtually identical except for the color of the paint and the name badge, and the parts are very interchangeable.

This is not a knock against the Dewalt 735's. They are excellent machines, but they are just not meant for "a lot" of material processing.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I agree with the Craiglook suggestion. (I use searchtempest). I bought my Jet 15" planer on ebay at a buy it now price of 500 dollars. Usually ebay will sell higher.

One thing about the 15 inch planers is that they USED to be made in the same factory in Tiawan, but many have switched to China. I do not know if the quality made the trip or not. My 15 inch Jet seems OK, and at some point may be getting the Byrd treatment.

If you are on any type of tight or limited budget, you need to think Craigslist first for your tool needs. You do give up some certainty in you purchase though. My second choice would be Grizzly. I have been to their store in PA, and they are not joking around, and you get lots of bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham View Post
    I currently have a DeWalt 735. I've had it since they were first released. A ton of wood has been sent through that machine. Sprockets broke which i have found out is not that uncommon. I was going to replace it with a new as the repair has to be siginificant (two sprockets, two rollers a chain and the labor to do it!). I would like to hear some suggestions for a alternative planer in that price range $600. thanks.
    Not trying to talk you into anything, but Dewalt was supplying the necessary sprockets et.al. for free if your serial number falls into the ones they had problems with. Don't have those numbers handy but you could google it on Sawmill Creek, there were threads about it. I bought my planer used and it was within that serial number range, so I got the sprockets from Dewalt as a precaution. have yet to need to replace them though.