Thread: Bow saw quandry

Bow saw quandry

I recently made the Frame & Bow saws on this page of my web site.

I've tried to shod them with a section of band saw blade but that's not working well at all. I'm looking for a regular 12-14TPI length of cross cut saw blade for the bow and a wider (3/4") rip saw blade for the Frame saw. Since these are hand made the length of blade isn't a standard something I can just walk into a store or order - I need at least 17" for the bow and 24 for the frame. I've experimented with band saw blades but they have too much set or hook and just don't work well.

Anyone know where I can order such blades? I'm not having any luck searching the web

If you can't locate one commercially, maybe you could find a $1 hand saw from a flea market or ebay and cut the steel from it? I've done it a few times, myself, though not for a bow or frame saw, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Recycling Old Hand Saws into New Ones

Might be worth a little experimenting, anyway. Another option could be to get a strip of spring steel from McMaster Carr (see catalog page with item #9036K819 on it) and cut your own teeth. I did that on some back saws I made a while ago, and it's not as hard as you might think.

Also, Highland Hardware sells Continental Frame Saw replacement blades that I believe are 26" long, you could cut them down to fit. They also have a 3/8" scroll saw blade for the same frame saw that you could possibly use for the bow saw.

Just ideas, you'll want to investigate them further if you decide to pursue them.
    Last edited by Leif Hanson; 12-07-2004 at 4:03 PM.

thank you

Thanks Lief, I can get on that site and order a scroll saw blade adn trim it down for my bow saw. I might even order on of those rip blades if they are long enough. I appreciate your info and the interesting "make your own saw" link. That might be a fun project some weekend for the next Frame saw I make.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Crawford
    I recently made the Frame & Bow saws on this page of my web site.

I've tried to shod them with a section of band saw blade but that's not working well at all. I'm looking for a regular 12-14TPI length of cross cut saw blade for the bow and a wider (3/4") rip saw blade for the Frame saw. Since these are hand made the length of blade isn't a standard something I can just walk into a store or order - I need at least 17" for the bow and 24 for the frame. I've experimented with band saw blades but they have too much set or hook and just don't work well.

Anyone know where I can order such blades? I'm not having any luck searching the web
    Jerry,

I just stumbled across a site that sells 24" bow saw blades in 6, 8, and 12 tip. Here is a link: http://www.harristools.com/catalog/i...32b13bae8d2e06

HTH,

Tom
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.