Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: used laguna bandsaw-what to look for

How timely... I came across a Laguna 16 3hp here... seller wants $1400 for it and says its ~4yrs old and seen light usage. Its not the HD version, but has the foot brake and comes with a "resaw king" blade along with the mobility kit. Haven't seen it yet, but the picture I saw looks like its in very good shape.

I'm assuming this vintage comes from the Bulgarian manufacturing lines... that coupled with some bad customer service complaints on Laguna here on SMC has me a little gunshy... I'm wondering if my money might be better spent on something else?

What say you?

Thanks
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    If the motor is Italian there were some overheating issues with them and why Laguna went to the American made Baldor motors it uses now. Point being the newest motors are the better motors, period. It sounds like it has European guides with ceramic faces, do not confuse those with the current guides either, the current guides are far superior. Take a look at the current guides on the Laguna site and pictures of Euro guides so you can tell the difference when you see it.
    That is why Laguna went to?; Point being ... period?; The current guides are far superior. These are pretty authoritative statements that sound factual but I suspect they are opinions.

The engineer in me has to ask your basis for these conclusions. Does the motor turn better?; is it more reliable?; does it not trip thermal overloads? I recall seeing complaints on some forums about the Italian motors running hotter than what the user expected but this doesn't necessarily mean a bad motor. I have been running Italian, German, and Austrian made motors as well as Taiwanese, Baldor, Leeson, Franklin, and GE motors for years and have never had a failure. I cannot say that one make is any better than the other as they have all done the job they were expected. I don't know why Laguna changed to Baldor but it could easily have been for reasons other than what you have indicated (e.g., we are increasing the resaw height, need a larger motor, and the Baldor is a cost effective option). If you worked for Laguna at the time and were involved in making the decision to change, my apologies.

I am an engineer at a power plant and several of my plant modifications have installed a number of motors including a small 1/2 HP Baldor motor that runs so hot you cannot hold your hand on it. The motor has operated nearly continously without failure for over 5 years. Would you also conclude that this is a bad motor? I would hope not. As long as the motor is operating within its design capabilities, it is acceptable.

The Euroguides you mention have roller bearings and not ceramic faces. My saw originally came with Euroguides and I upgraded to ceramic several years later. While I prefer the ceramic guides, I cannot say that the Euroguides are inferior. This is soley a statement of personal preference and is my opinion.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Sowers View Post
    How timely... I came across a Laguna 16 3hp here... seller wants $1400 for it and says its ~4yrs old and seen light usage. Its not the HD version, but has the foot brake and comes with a "resaw king" blade along with the mobility kit. Haven't seen it yet, but the picture I saw looks like its in very good shape.

I'm assuming this vintage comes from the Bulgarian manufacturing lines... that coupled with some bad customer service complaints on Laguna here on SMC has me a little gunshy... I'm wondering if my money might be better spent on something else?

What say you?

Thanks
    Andy
    I don't think the Bulgarian ones are bad - I have a Bulgarian LT14SE, and quality is lightyears ahead of everything else in my shop. It just isn't an *Italian* saw. They are still exceptionally nice.

I think Laguna got the message about their customer service - they sponsor SMC now, and seem to have improved their CS tremendously. I wouldn't worry about that.

I have a 2001 Laguna LT18 and I have upgraded the guides, fence and put the new Baldor motor on it. The Italian motor ran extremely hot and while it did not fail on me, I never felt comfortable using it for extended periods. The Baldor works better for me and I have no regrets with the upgrade. Laguna's service has been top notch -- I had an internal part fail on me last December and Laguna gave me a replacement free of charge. They stand behind their products and IMHO, they will work with you to solve any issues. I would not part with my saw and would buy a new one in a heartbeat.

Scot

I bought a new HD-16---and that's the last dime they will ever get from me.
    See I am getting better ---no 200 words on what I think about my saw or the people I bought it from.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I bought my HD16 used too -I paid $1500 for it which I thought was fair as it was lightly used and in very good shape. Mine has the newer guides with the older european motor and 13 inch resaw. Overall I am very happy with it and have had no issues.

M

Thanks for all the information. In the end I'm going to pass on this saw. The deal killer is that it is 180 miles and a $230 ferry ride away. After adding in the gas, and if I put any value on my time, I'll be over the cost of a LT14sel, which will be enough saw for my needs. Also I will get new ceramic guides and a new warranty(yes I know about the customer service problems that Laguna has had in the past)

One side note. It is interesting how some people have had good experiences and others have had bad experiences with the same model saw. I guess that's why there are so many different saw models and manufacturers out there.

Well, I guess I'm on the opposite side of the fence... I ended up buying LT16 I had posted about (non-HD version). He ended up living less than a mile away from my house, literally down the street!

The saw seems to be in great shape, the original owner had upgrade to an 18" saw shortly after buying this one so it is in pretty good shape overall...

Being a used saw, I'm hoping all the "bugs" (if any) have been worked out...

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Jesse View Post
    Thanks for all the information. In the end I'm going to pass on this saw.
    Care to share where the saw is located? Maybe someone here is interested.

[QUOTE=Dan Friedrichs;1479711I think Laguna got the message about their customer service - they sponsor SMC now, and seem to have improved their CS tremendously. I wouldn't worry about that.[/QUOTE]
    Might want to rethink that. I don't think they have gotten the message just yet. I have the 14 SUV and bought all the goodies. A 3/8" blade broke, and did damage to the saw guides, throat plate and other stuff that was a not big deal to live with. I called and sent pictures and got a fast response from the salesman. Several days later and after another phone call, I got the service folks. We struck a fair price on the repair parts, that was a good thing. But when they finally arrived, the box was missing the throat plate and one of the guides. I also have the resaw king blade and found it was defective and had told them about it at the same time(it was very hard to saw with). The salesman again very quickly responded, but nothing from the service folks on it or the missing previous order. Called again a week later, the salesman says he is all over it. A week later nothing. Called yesterday and sternly asked for the resolution. After staying on the phone with the service guy while he went to the warehouse to get the stuff and having him email me the agreement, I think I now may have it resolved. We'll see when the stuff comes in. I'm not saying they are rude or unfair. It seems to be a process problem. I noted the service guy had to get permission a lot. It may be an empowerment issue, I don't know. They are always very nice on the phone, just slooooow to come through.

If anyone is interested. The saw is in Manton Michigan. It is located in the northern part of lower Michigan. The phone is 231-388-3872. Ask for Corry.

12. I am looking at a 16HD from 2004. It appears to seen little use but was neglected The blade was left tensioned and I will have to clean/lube everything. The motor is not Baldor but the paint scheme is like the latest Lagunas. I tentatively agreed to $1100. Does this seem good? Thanks. Ted

Nice price on that machine. As for the blade tension neglect; the only issue you should have is a weakened spring. Or not. Easy item to get from Laguna if it is not strong enough. I have had a LT18 since 2001 and it has been a workhorse. I upgraded to ceramic guides and a Resaw King blade for resawing. You will like this machine.