Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epilog Power supply

Epilog Power supply

I was reading some back postings regarding the above topic.
    It was on P.200 from James Stokes dated 06-17-2008.
    My supplies (2) both died at the same time.The part number and model are exactly as quoted in the posting and I repeat them here:
    Model :......VS1-D9-03
    Astec P/N:..73-180-0579CE
    I have stripped both AC/DC units to find the same 3 parts cooked.
    I have competence in electronics but really would like some advice..I'm a bit un-certain as to the failure cause so am a bit wary
    about just re-placing the bits and applying power even only to one unit at a time.

So in the first instance I'm wondering as to the outcome that James experienced.

Secondly is there anyone who has acquired the schematics for this power supply?

I currently have an enquiry in to Dan Phetn at Epilog, but our time difference delays things a tad.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards Graham Symns

Been there done that

I know that power supply. They are modular with an AC/DC converter going from 110/220 AC to 300+ vDC and then another converts 300+ VDC to 48V DC at 25-30 Amps. Each module has a green light. If the module closes to the wall which is bolted onto the laser is red then the DC/DC converter is bad.

This power supply is more of a Synrad restriction than an Epilog thing. When I thought I had problems with mine I got the feeling that Epilog wanted this thing to go away. I really think Epilog doesn't want to be in the power supply business and these have probably plagued them wuite a bit. However Synrad speced the Astecs and Epilog used the Synrads.

Astec got sold to Emerson power. Astec never released schematics and they are notorious for not doing so.

There are smart people out there that will repair these things for anywhere from $250 to $400 and offer a warranty of 3 to 6 months. These repair shops fix all power supplies. I almost paid a local guy to do it as power supplies are pretty much the same and a capacitor is usually the thing that goes bad anyways. An ESR test uncovers that in 20 minutes. Easy money for them.

When I opened mine up, I saw several colored markers having dots on each capacitor, transistor and diode as a technician tested each one a couple times earlier.

The technician I took mine to said a blown cap or diode weakens other components in the circuit in his opinion. Since the price was the same to replace one cap by him or all 18 I believed him. Just be careful of the capacitor polarity and diode direction. Say a prayer before turning on
    The 03 in VS1-D9-03 means the power supply will apply power to the terminals even without any pins on the 10 pins connector set high. If the green light comes on, 48 VDC is being output.
    I always have a good CO2 extinguisher present in case of blowout.

You can contact Emerson directly for repair( I have attached an RMA form)
    US RMA repair is in the So California.
    Here is a support person's email
    JollyAnn.Salazar@emerson.com

She is located in the Philippines. They have a fixed rate of $249 to fix them and a 60 day warranty.

I also bought a spare power supply for my 70W Legend.
    It is a Lambda with he same voltage and power ratings (and terminal).
    This is new old stock. Lamba posts schematics. Just have to figure out how to mount it to the metal backing in the Epilog. Shouldn't be too difficult..

http://www.surplussales.com/PowerSupplies/PowerS-5.html

They had some Astecs 48V VS1 there last month for $60 a piece, I should have bought them out, someone else did.

Ebay has some 48V 1500 W power supplies as well I also bought a Tectrol for $60. The high power is a problem. 48V is standard for DC power supplies for computer racks.

Now after thinking about it, you probably have a cable linking the 10 pin connectors between the two power supplies as you have the 100 W laser.
    This connection tells the supplies when to apply the output to the terminal so that they are in sync to deliver the current needed. That is an Astec specific thing.

Good luck, you are definitely about to learn about the the dark underworld of high power 48V power supplies.
    Last edited by andrew zen; 07-30-2010 at 5:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Andrew,

One of the best, info-filled responses I've seen from a newbie in many years... virtual star for you
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks, I spent some time on this issue.

Also, check to see if both green LEDs com on when you disconnect the laser and the other connectors from the terminals. Or course you have to keep the connectors coming from the breakers connected - that is your power.

I found that if the motherboard or anything else it is connected to has a short, it takes the power supply down with it and the power supply cycles through, turning on and off which is what it is supposed to do.

Andrew,

I think you have just become the resident PSU expert.

Paul.

I just had the pleasure of replacing the power supply on my less than 2 year old Epilog Mini........along with the X-axis motor (twice) and the air assist tube........hopefully, that will solve my problems. Can't wait for when its time to replace the motherboard and control panel. It's been a fun two weeks.......

I will once again compliment the Epilog Tech Support though.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Epilog power supply (Astech)

Hi all,
    Thanks for your replies.
    I agree with Dan's comment about Andrew's credentials in his excellent response.
    I did visit the supplier Andrew mentioned and spotted a likely candidate,namely the PS(LF-48-48) at USD319 / ea
    As I said in my post I do have electronic experience and located the obviously impacted devices, removed them,identical parts in each supply,and have bought in named replacement parts but I am hesitant to just install (and pray).
    The other big thing is the cost of freight..USD80 for a post of less than 2 ounces to New Zealand plus NZ customs etc.Very rapid delivery however.
    If successful I might advertise as the New Zealand repair agent for these supplies!(tongue in cheek).
    So the quest for schematics is very powerfully driven.
    So please keep looking people ..maybe we can crack this annoying situation
    Regards Graham

Here is a potential replacement on ebay.

Located in Philippines.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-31-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: removed ebay link

Hi Andrew,

It's 9:35 AM here ..what is is your local time?
    I had a look at the e_Bay site ..that sure is an attractive price ,no doubt about that.
    It gives me a back-up course of action if fitting the parts and praying fails.
    Thanks for that information

Regards Graham

Hi Andrew,
    I was just wondering if you had any progress to report in fitting your Lambda replacement power supply.
    If you have I would appreciate pics and any comments as to what to look out for.
    I have been beavering away trying to source old/new supplies on e-bay,advice,schematics but so far nothing to add to what you so kindly have contributed.
    Anyway I have been looking a little further into the DC-DC converter and see all sorts of engraver exhaust products which have got into this unit.
    Hardware has rusted and a film of the goo has accumulated inside this unit,not a gross amount but enough to inspect further before I try powering them up.
    The extent of the invasion is hard to evaluate until I strip this unit down so watch this space as I will report back as to what I find.
    Regards Graham

In the end, I found out that my power supply wasn't bad, but the laser display had a short, pulling down the supply.

So, I am still using my Astec.

I don't know what to say. This is all about your appetite for risk and your pocket book.

I research this and wasted weeks of my life, there is no cheap alternative for this power supply. I don;t think you are in the power supply business yourself. I see you are asking help on other forums and maybe they will help but everyone is always hoping their power supply doesn't fail because it is expensive and everyone faces the music.

I think you have a Synrad Firestar 100W or greater. You need 40A. The manual has two power supplies bridge with the communication link to turn on both supplies at the same time. Without that link, if one supply turns on and the other hasn't yet, the current goes into the other supply and that is a problem.

http://www.synrad.com/Manuals/ti-Series_v1.2.pdf

page 13.

They might be using Power One supplies that have been rebranded after the Astecs.

So the Lamba is not for you.

Repairing at Emerson this time seems like the best option.
    having two supplies fail at once is suspicious.

The business side of me says that if you have a 100W laser. $500 US repair for two power supplies is a low percentage cost of business.

I would buy extras when you can.

As promised this post is to give a progress report.
    Having not been able to obtain any further manufacturer documentation
    I have had to trust to luck that the only failed devices were the obvious ones.
    So I replaced the obviously ruptured devices after having cleaned the circuit boards and inspected them closely for dry joints,arcing & track marks.
    No dry joints,arcing or track marks were found.
    A fair amount of deposited grime was cleaned off.
    I reinstated one PSU into the chassis and tested this outside the engraver.To my relief it powered up normally with the DC measuring 48v.
    Installation in the engraver allowed the engraver to power up normally with the requsite homing of the x-y axis etc.
    The engraver is now functioning normally and I now am about to do the laser beam alignment.
    I hope this is of some interest but I must say I am still bemused by the fact that 2 supplies had identical faied devices,something I have not encountered in my working life.
    Thanks to all who have responded.

Regards Graham

Maybe a power surge?
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Great job.

Did you take pictures of the devices so we can see the damage?

You are now the resident PSU repair person.

I hope your PSUs last a long time.

Now search this forum for power conditioner advice

I have an unpredictable power source here, so I bought a Ferrups UPS unit.
    Power is conditioned before used.

Thanks for your continuing interest and no I had not thought of including pictures so I thought that I would give it a try.
    So the first picture is a view is of the local area of the destroyed parts while the second is a longer distance shot of the AC-DC converter.
    I should say that I have re-commissioned only one supply but I must say that I feel a little more confident now.
    The interesting thing was that no track work was destroyed ..a bit of a bonus really.

STA40323.jpg

STA40324.jpg