Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segmented Travel Mug

Segmented Travel Mug

Here is my latest travel mug. I decided to try a segmented one and this has 64 pieces. I will be entering it into the Minnesota State Fair next month in the Turn Segmented category.

The 4 woods I used are hard maple, padauk, purple heart and tatajuba. I found the tatajuba in the cutoff room at Rockler. It is a very dense wood, but turns nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nicely done, I'm inspired to try something similar.

Keep up the great work.

Tim

Blog Entries
    VERY NICE! I am extremely impressed and wish I had a lathe in my basement shop to try this. I have recently found a book at our local library on segmented turning and can't wait for the day.

Please post more of your work and keep us "wannabees" inspired to take the plunge into turning.

Thanks.
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

That is very nice work, Greg. The proportions look just right. Good luck with the fair.

Well done Greg. You just added another have to do project to my list. Thanks for posting.

Looks good Greg! Best of luck with the State Fair!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nicely done. Great choice of woods as well.

Really nice. Good luck at the fair.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hey Guy: I've seen things "turned" on a drill press..I think PSI might still sell the shaft(??) it's done on.. no lathe? no problem

Beautiful travel mug. I have teo kits to make those but so far haven't had the guts to start work on them. I just have to get some more turning experience.

Greg that is outstanding. I really like this and it looks like it would be comfortable in the hand too. Best of luck at the fair.

John

Nice. One of these days. Something seggie is definetly on my turning bucket list.

I really like all the colors. For some reason it reminds me of a warm quilt. Good one. Good luck at the fair.

Greg, this one is very nice. You have done several nice segmented and staved mugs as I recall, but this is my favorite!

BTW, I haven't forgotten about walnut and curly maple scraps for you. It is just that I haven't done any more furniture projects since buying this lathe!!!!! Hard to make square scraps with a bowl gouge!!

Thanks for all the nice comments.

When I started this one I wasn't sure it would work, but I'm rather pleased with the result and I think the wife has her eye on it. I glued up 16 7 inch long staves then "parted" the cylinder into 4 sections, rotated each section as to alternate the colors and glued it together again. I then re-chucked the cylinder and finished like the others I have done.

John K. - no hurry on the wood scraps - I'm in pretty good shape right now.