Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don Pencil Buffing Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I'm not familiar with this tool. How is it used?

David,

Don's buffing adapters are the easiest things in the world to use. One end is threaded to accept your lathe's spindle and the other end is threaded to accept your buffing wheels. To use, thread the adapter onto your lathe's spindle and then thread the buffing wheel's arbor into the adapter. Turn your lathe onto the correct speed. Load up the wheel with compound and buff away.

The system's greatest advantage is it's flexibility. You can mount larger and smaller wheels and different shaped buffs. So, it can be used for everything from big bowls to the pens. I have the 8" adapter, which easily lets me reach to the bottom of a fairly deep bowl. If I were buying today, I'd get the 12" adapter instead.

The only downside to the use of these adapters is that you have to remove and replace the wheels when switching between compounds. For small things items, the system that has three wheels spaced along an arbor (available from Don Pencil and from Beall) is more efficient since you can quickly move from one wheel to the next. However, it only takes a few seconds to change wheels with Don's adapter, so I prefer it (for the stuff I tend to make) to the three wheel systems.

Hope this helps.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Now that I've used the adapters for a while, let me say that I'm very happy with this purchase. Quick to set-up and change wheels, and having variable speed is really helpful. Lots more room to work with forms than with a pedestal mounted, fixed speed electric motor, too. I may have to get one for my small lathe, as well. (Let me tag on to someone's earlier post here as to why changing wheel systems - after having and using the Beall set-up, I sold it so I could buy some other wheels I found at Caswell Plating - variety in selection and number of wheels mounted. Beall's wheels are excellent, though, I must say, I just like this way better. Plus, it's 'shopmade').

Don's stuff is high quailty, expect to use it the rest of your life

I've been trying desperately for some time to get these. Is Don Pencil still around? His web site is down and he doesn't return phone calls. I don't know if he is on vacation, retired, sick or even worse. Does anyone have contact with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Haynes View Post
    Does anyone know where I can purchase these? I've been trying to contact Don Pencil. His web site is down and he doesn't return phone calls. Is he out of business?
    Packard sells these

I think Don has been out of business for a couple of years at this point. The site was slowly selling off remaining stock for a while.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

He has been winding down for a couple years, but he also hasn't posting anything on Facebook (that I've seen) since January. So maybe he has had some health issues
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I use these, I made them from scrap maple, my cost is the bolt and washers, maybe a dollar. For my longer versions I drilled and tapped the turned the maple so that a piece of 1/5" PVC pipe will snug fit over the threaded end. I then pinned the PVC to the maple. With variable speed and reverse I can put them on and take them off in seconds.