Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don Pencil Buffing Adapter

Don Pencil Buffing Adapter

Here's two I just bought, still making arbors out of all-thread for my wheels. 12" and 8" - only intended to get one, but kinda messed up and wound up with two. I'll be getting rid of my stand-alone motor/buffer (free up a little precious shop space). They are solid, have very little run-out; anyone have experience with these? I'll report back when I get to use them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love mine and would not use anything else. Not only that Don is a great guy. Buy the way that is a nice little gloat you have.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 07-31-2010 at 8:43 AM. Reason: Content

I'm not familiar with this tool. How is it used?

BTW, you've been in a sweet little tool acquisition phase recently.

Congrats on your tools. Haven't used them but they look solid.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've had mine for two years now and love it! THe quality of machining on these extensions is superb!

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    BTW, you've been in a sweet little tool acquisition phase recently.
    David, I don't know if you have noticed in the Classified, but it is sort of an "ebb and flow" for Mike!! Kind of incoming/outgoing tide thing! I did the same thing with handtools for several months until I settled into the keepers!

I originally bought the Beall system and then Don's adapter and wheel for the plastic and lacquer. I now use his adapter on the lathe for all three and love it. Mine's only about 3" long and mounted on my old Jet 1220.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    I originally bought the Beall system and then Don's adapter and wheel for the plastic and lacquer. I now use his adapter on the lathe for all three and love it. Mine's only about 3" long and mounted on my old Jet 1220.

Being you have both, I'd be interested in your comparison and why you prefer this one to the Beall.

I've got a 3" and an 8" from Don. The 3" is on my mini all the time which has turned into a buffing machine for small turnings. Been very happy with both.
    Last edited by Gary Herrmann; 07-31-2010 at 6:31 PM.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I've got the 8" and have had it for 2 years or more IIRC. Great product, excellent machining. I've been using it with the Beall bowl buffs on deep vessels, bowls, etc with no issues.

J

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    David, I don't know if you have noticed in the Classified, but it is sort of an "ebb and flow" for Mike!! Kind of incoming/outgoing tide thing! I did the same thing with handtools for several months until I settled into the keepers!
    John, that's quite true - you should(n't) have seen me in my younger days, with cars and stereo equipment - having been military and young, I went thru an astounding number of automobiles and high-end audiophile quality gear. Same here with the turning equipment - am fine tuning the toolbox to get what I think will help me turn the forms I want. Plus, I'm a tool junkie, and sometimes just buy what looks cool .

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Being you have both, I'd be interested in your comparison and why you prefer this one to the Beall.
    The Beall adapter fit my grinder the Pencil mounts direct on the lathe spindle. I put an MDF honing wheel in place of the buffing wheel on the slow speed grinder. Also Don recommends 700 rpm for his PL compound and the grinder does not go that slow.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have the 8" with 1" thread for mini lathe and the 8" and 12" with 1 1/4" thread for Powermatic. I use the mini setup mainly for the bowl buffs, and the wheels on the Powermatic but that gives me the ability to do small bowls inside and outside without changing buffing wheel. The 12" is great for larger bowls and hollow forms to have the extra reach. I bought some large flat head screws at Fastenal and use them to attach the buffing wheels that require using a couple of extra nuts on the shaft when tightening the lock nut against the buffing wheel. Additionally, I have found that some 5" wheels from Northern Tool work very well for tripoli buffing in the smaller shapes, better than the smaller bowl buffs. The only problem is the 5" have a 5/8" hole, and require making a filler (I wrap with paper strips) to center on the 3/8" screw. I was considering dropping Don a note and suggesting that he add the 5" wheels to his line, but this might do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    The only problem is the 5" have a 5/8" hole...

I feel the same way - 3/8 is a rather small diameter (I guess both the beall and pencil are both that size, yes?) - would like to have seen a 1/2 or 5/8 bored/threaded hole in these, but there may be a reason against it (I'm no machinist) and besides, the 3/8 does seem stiff enough, to me. I just used some clear plastic tubing as a shim, and my 5/8 wheels work like a charm on my penicl adapters. I'll post a photo of the home made arbors (3/8 allthread, cap nut and nuts & washers) tomorrow.

Arbor (shopmade) pics

For anyone wanting to see, this is obviously simple to make - just a 3 1/4" or so piece of 3/8"x16 tpi all-thread, two washers (one on either side of the buffing wheel), a cap nut for the outside and a regular nut to secure everything together. I glue the cap nut on, and tighten the other against the wheel - use a lock washer if you want - and use a piece of plastic tubing as a shim for the hole in the wheel, if necessary. Cheaper than buying it pre-built, and you get your choice of material for the wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images