Thread: 2 in 2 days

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

2 in 2 days

After 6 years of use I finally broke the infamous drive gear on my DW735 planer.
    I had the fore sight to order two and another retaining ring because the second deep sixed after about 20 minutes of use and that ring went flying across the room during replacement.
    Anyone know of a ruggedize aftermarket gear??

Mini Gloat!! I am milling some black ash cut from my land for a remuddling project.
    Just a small portion of the 500 bd. ft. I've acquired at a very reasonable price around the area. There's a beetle that's killing the black ash.

TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 07-31-2010 at 9:55 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    Anyone know of a ruggedize aftermarket gear??

TIA
    I have not heard of one BUT somone in another thread where this came up in the last 2-3 days postulated that they MAY be a "weak link" on purpose, to prevent more severe damage somewhere else. They certainly did not offer it as fact nor do I but it does bear some investigation prior to replacing them.

Blog Entries
    This is not a criticism so please take it for what it is worth. Sounds like the job at hand is beyond the design of the tool. If this is a 'once in a while' workload it would be hard to justify a larger machine. If it is status quo, I would upgrade if possible (like we need an excuse to try to buy a new tool). ;-)

Can you take smaller bites, provide better support for the material or help move the material through the machine? Frequent waxing maybe? Just tossing out ideas to get you through this. The failure seems to indicate a higher workload than the machine expects as many people use these machines for years without failure.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Thanks Glenn,

Already started searching the net for something much beefier.
    This thing was fine as you said for once in a while but it is much too slow.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Ash borers got ya? I'm reading that ash will go the way of chestnut.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.