Thread: $150 pick up

$150 pick up

What a deal at the flea market today.

I don't understand why they included that flat iron with the router plane.

The dado plane is missing its nicker and iron. Another needs a new wedge. But what a wonderful pick up!

Wow. I definitely am going to the wrong flea market. Nice snag.

Blog Entries
    YOU SUCK!

So where is this flea market? I have not found a flea market worth going to down here in FL.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

John - Can't quite tell from the photo, but I'm pretty sure that the flat iron isn't a plane blade - it's a marking knife.

I still don't get the wood plane thing, but nice haul anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    John - Can't quite tell from the photo, but I'm pretty sure that the flat iron isn't a plane blade - it's a marking knife.
    David,

Thanks. After reading what you wrote, I grabbed the thing like it was a marking knife and it felt right. So I sharpened it up. But, is this a left-hander's? Its not double beveled.

Does anybody know how to secure the iron in the router plane? No wedge came with it and there is no hole for a thumb screw. There is space on either side of the iron.
    John-Paul
    AMDG

Looks like you have to make your own wedge. A technique that I've found to be helpful (maybe I invented it? Could it be the "johnny b method"?) is to set up your iron and stick some putty in the space. That impression in the putty will give you the right angle for your wedge.

I suppose a smart guy would find a better way to establish the angle, but I do know that old tyme plane makers have a sort of "key ring" of different wedges to find the size.

Quote Originally Posted by John-Paul Volkenant View Post
    Does anybody know how to secure the iron in the router plane? No wedge came with it and there is no hole for a thumb screw. There is space on either side of the iron.