Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is negativity really bad?

is negativity really bad?

This is my latest experiment with negative design. It is the one I have been envisioning. It has taken a few prototypes and a lot of tool control to achieve this piece. It's 9 inches and weighs 3 oz. A lot more air than wood. I hope it gives your eyes a treat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, Michelle! Bet that took some time and patience! Nice work !

Michelle, thats pretty cool looking
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Another interesting piece Michelle. The possibilities are endless. Might be fun to do some side views and play with lighting to see what sort of shadow effects you could create.
    Richard in Wimberley

Nicely done. I like the 'negative pattern'.

What's going on in the center of the piece? It's hard for me to make out.

Really, really neat. You're moving up on that Weissflog guy in a hurry ....

David..hope this helps

Hi David: nothing really, as the idea is to see what is not there..but I will try to post a pic here that shows the piece as it was being made(very rough at this stage). It is shaped like a platter, but I can't seem to get a pic of that..It's 1/2 inch thick..In the future I may alleviate the piece of it's chuck area..when turning tho, I want all the meat I can keep..as it is, all one sees is the headstock at this ratio of air to wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Cathy, thanks for the comment. Yep Hans has sent me a cease & desist order..he threatened to send 2 tough guys to break my fingers...what I won't do for art!!!

Thanks Michelle. It's actually quite pretty even when it's not backlit as you showed it in the first photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    It has taken a few prototypes and a lot of tool control to achieve this piece.
    And, it was well worth the effort!!! Very nice, and the best of the lot/series!! Great work, Michelle!

That is a nice piece, but, I don't understand what "negative design" is referring to. Can someone help out this old Benton City guy, that doesn't get out much and sees walruses, a little?
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 08-01-2010 at 4:06 PM.

I really enjoy seeing what you're doing with this "negativity" thing. And I'm a little envious too. You seem to be getting the hang of it much more so than I've ever been able to. This is really a cool looking platter!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    That is a nice piece, but, I don't understand what "negative design" is referring to. Can someone help out this old Benton City guy, that doesn't get out much and sees walruses, out a little?

sorry but I am in the same boat as Paul. Nothing bad just not sure what it is all about etc...
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Paul & Don..The folks who have followed my journey in what I am calling Negative Space Designing..know what it means. I am turning pieces that are to be looked at like a negative of a picture. The design is WHAT IS NO LONGER THERE. That is why when I post them I do it in front of a window..you see the light come thru...This is the culmination of the journey (pictures have been posted earlier) ..More air than wood!

Thanks for clearing that up and Karl, thanks fessing for up, I bet there were others just pretending they know what it is all about. Pretty piece, negative or positive.