Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut HF and a gloat of sorts

Beautiful HF and a great story Curt. Ernie is a generous and all around nice guy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice!

Very nice story! Great HF also. Now we need a picture of the Hollowing rig he built !

Thanks! G

Great story and a very nice looking turning!

First of all let me say that that is a very nice HF.

Now for the H-rig. I, and I don't believe anyone else on here has read where Curt was whining about his tools. He aint a whiner. He's made fun of one that he uses, and cracked me up a few times about it, but never whined which is what got me to thinking about it. Curt has put up tutorials on different things he's turned, like his most excellent ornaments(The Ornament King IMO), scoops of all kinds, and other kitchen utensils that I never thought about turning. I've made LOML very happy with some copies of Curt's stuff. (That right there is worth more than I'm going to tell him.)

A tutorial would be very time consuming for me, and Curt did them without blinking an eye. He doesn't brag, but has made conversation about where many of his turnings go for free. When I asked him for all these measurements of his lathe for a gift to someone else, he had them back to me the same day through two different venues just to make sure I got them.

I was given a gift of a "D" handle from which I learned on a very amateur level how to reproduce one. I passed it along to someone you have to agree earned it ten times over. So it wasn't me being generous, but just making an attempt to pay Curt back. That he is a friend makes it a bonus for me.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    Beautiful piece Curt!!!

And yes....Ernie did the same thing to me. A wonderful gift from a truly generous and selfless individual. I think of him every time I look at it.

Congratulations!
    You know, it's funny to me how these guys like Curt and John don't remember things.

Some of you weren't here when the "Itty Bitty" contest was run. John Hart started that, and went through all the rigamarole to get it started. No telling how much time he spent on PMs alone, not counting figuring out the rules and just keeping up with the whole mess of putting it together and making it work. He increased the turnout in the turning forum by probably 5 fold. People came from every forum to read that thread, and we all had a blast.

True, he is the Nutty Professor, but his experiments usually draw a crowd.

So for me, the H-Rig was way underpayment for what he did. I just hope it doesn't fly apart on him.

Congratulations Curt! Nice hollow form too!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Curt, great piece, i really
    like dark wood towards the middle, light wood towards the outside
    a pretty good gloat also

well he sent it to a guy who knew how to use it..that is a real fine HF..

Great job Curt ! Great form and I love the accents you used. Really sets it apart. Now as far as Earnie being a nice guy...................................
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burns View Post
    . Now as far as Earnie being a nice guy...................................
    HEY! I've had a moment, like that time... no wait, I ended up shooting that guy in the foot, but I'm thinkin there might be something... some time. Of course I've got to consider this is coming from a guy who turns on a Noway lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall View Post
    HEY! I've had a moment, like that time... no wait, I ended up shooting that guy in the foot, but I'm thinkin there might be something... some time. Of course I've got to consider this is coming from a guy who turns on a Noway lathe.
    Well, I know there is noway I'd ever turn a spear and give it to you, I've seen the damage it can do in your hands.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Curt, first let me say this is a wonderful piece - very nice form, and everything blends very well. You do good work!

Then, on the creeker/turner thing. Before my "round days" - back in the flat world, I always felt woodworkers generally were good folks. I have purchased tools from woodworkers I have never met, sight unseen, and have never been cheated.

But, I would have to say, woodturners are the cream of the crop!! They are abundantly generous, and so willing to share knowledge and experience. This situation takes it even a step further. Great story!!!
    Amen John..........................