Thread: Stain or Dye Alder?

Stain or Dye Alder?

We are trying to get alder to look like dark cherry. Anyone have a technique? Best I can do so far is with wood conditioner followed by a dark/orange Transtint mix. Any stain just catches the pores and looks dirty.

Any suggestions welcome.

I use water soluble dyes to color wood almost all the time...and that's what I'd use for what you want to do. Dye, de-waxed shellac to seal and then the intended top-coat. Be sure to go through the whole process on a piece of scrape from your actual material to insure that your actual results will match your intended result. And please be aware that the water soluble dye will look really muddy after it dries, but will "wake up" once you hit it with your seal coat.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have to try a little dewaxed over the dye and check it out. I love the idea of eliminating a step.....

I've used Behlen's Solar Lux NGR dyes with great success on walnut (coloring red walnut to be more chocolate). NGR is non-grain-raising. It is a water soluable dye but in an alcohol solution (clever chemists). Absolutely practice on scrap...dyes can build up as you apply it more and more since it penetrates the wood.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Go look at the kitchen pictures in my gallery, job had ~6000 sq ft of alder... TransTint dye is the way to go on alder it will blotch with reg. stain. Spraying is the best way to ensure an even color and NO wiping needed. I use alcohol but water will work too with TransTint dyes.

EDIT: Gallery is gone; I guess my contributor status expired, stay tuned...
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 08-02-2010 at 8:20 PM. Reason: Gallery is gone
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Scott Holmes View Post
    Go look at the kitchen pictures in my gallery, job had ~6000 sq ft of alder... TransTint dye is the way to go on alder it will blotch with reg. stain. Spraying is the best way to ensure an even color and NO wiping needed. I use alcohol but water will work too with TransTint dyes.

EDIT: Gallery is gone; I guess my contributor status expired, stay tuned...
    Scott, I think I remember seeing the pics. Unfortunately, the face frames are installed and I'm too lazy to tape and bag everything in the area.

I'll post some updates here for a little critique-ing if ya'll don't mind once I get going with some samples.

Alcohol dye is pretty easy to use not toxic fumes; but it will give you a terrible drunk.
    I've heard the hangover; is the worst possible hangover.

It dries very fast and over spray can be contained with plastic and/or paper masking.

Overspray is dry by the time it gets to the ground.
    I paid my SMC dues so I hope my gallery reposts.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.