Thread: Well I don't think it's cherry.....

Well I don't think it's cherry.....

Well I finally got down to look closer at a tree, I've been turning bowls from. But I don't know what it is. Anyone have a clue. The leaves are small and it has green berries right now. It's a very big tree with 3 trunks that are coming from the root ball. The wood is very white.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Josh Bowman; 08-03-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: forgot the pictures

guess birch, river birch

I agree with Charlie. Birch would be my guess.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The leaves and berries sure look a lot like hackberry, but the bark doesn't look right for that. Maybe some subspecies of the common hackberry?

I agree with Sean on the hackberry. That or sugarberry, and they are very close. I grew up around both and they didn't always have warts on the smaller trees or limbs. Even some of thee big trees (2'-3' diameter) had large patches of bark with no warts. The berries and leaves look right for the hackberry since the sugarberry leaves are usually larger.

I did a little research in an Audubon book and it does look like a kind of Hackberry. It's in a park in Dayton Tn. and looks wild. The wood turns nice, kind of like Poplar, but is very white with a kind of pleaseing grain. Anyway it's free and I'm making bowls with it!

Hackberry can spalt very nicely FWIW.

If it isn't pine, cedar, maple, walnut, cherry, or oak forget it I can't help but I do like the bowl. Nice turning.

"The best things in life are not things."

Looks like Hackberry to me. If the berries are in clumps of 3 or more on the same twig, it would be Chinaberry... but single berries like that are significant to Hackberry...
    However, I, like Sean, think the bark looks somewhat different... not rough enough...
    Could be something else, even... does Beech grow berries?
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    The leaves and berries sure look a lot like hackberry, but the bark doesn't look right for that. Maybe some subspecies of the common hackberry?

cut some hackberry not long ago and look just like that..