Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Design project...Bed for night tables Opinions Please!

New Design project...Bed for night tables Opinions Please!

With my daughter moving out of the quest house...and the bed moving with her, LOML wants a new bed to go with the Night tables I built many years ago. I posted them a while back and I will include a photo. They were originally part of a Master bedroom set I made. The bed I sold to a client when we moved..."he had to have it" and it was heavy to move. So we ended up with 2 maple and stainless steel night tables. I am looking for a design. I have a drawing attached, but I am open to suggestions. My design has been in my "pocket" for a couple of weeks now. I have revised it and I am starting to like it, but would like opinions. It will be maple of some variety. It is kind of a modern sleigh bed. What is great about the traditional sleigh bed is the comfort of the back to prop your pillow on to read or watch TV. This design presrves this aspect of the sleigh bed , however the side and front are floating over stainless legs. The stainless will help visually connect it to the night tables. I would like your opinions.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...tid=8807&stc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 12-08-2004 at 10:09 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark -

Looks like you have the legs at the foot made from stainless steel. What about a horizontal piece of steel at the very top of the sleigh back. Not seperate, but as the top edge of the headboard.

Alternatively, use the steel as the "legs" of the headboard with the sleigh panel suspended between them on four short lengths of steel. Just as the drawer boxes on the night stand are hung.

Regards,
    Ted
    Last edited by Ted Shrader; 12-08-2004 at 10:23 AM.

Mark,

I like the floating design. From the side view, it looks like a curved post at the head. From the front view, the posts don't show. I would make them definite posts, because then the posts and bed sides could match the quilted maple of the nightstands, but the field of the headboard wouldn't have to match. It might be hard to find that much matching wood.

Bob
    Spinning is good on a lathe, not good in a Miata.

Question first.

The sketch indicates you are planning on using a mattress only, no box spring. Correct?

Ray
    Retirement, it's not for wimps.

Ray,

That is correct. There will be a platform of spaced wood slats

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Thompson
    The sketch indicates you are planning on using a mattress only, no box spring. Correct?

Ray

Nuts

Just spent the last few minutes making a sketch but I can't save it in a format that will show up unless I do a full solid model and render. I did a 2D sketch but I can only save it in iges, .dwg, and .dxf, besides the native format of the software I am using. Nuts, Nuts, Nuts - or words to that effect.

Ray

I think the design is great...my choice of maple would be a nice quilted maple...expensive but worth it I think.

Mark --

Here's two ideas for you.

* In your side view, you have the headboard coming straight up from the floor and then bending toward the wall. Instead, you could curve it toward the foot, and then back toward the wall. See the first drawing below.

* You've got the post at the edge of the headboard, which is the traditional place on a sleigh bed. However, you might consider pushing it inboard a bit, so what you primarily see is the swoop of the curved surface. (You'd probably also get to use your coopering skills too!) See the second sketch.

Jamie

A different approach

Here is an idea I had using the floating sort of style of the end tables. The proportions aren't quite right yet but you get the idea.

Ray

Ted, I may just try to incorporate some Stainless in the head board,

Jamie, I think that leg may look better , great suggestion. I will give it a try and make another sketch.

Ray, Your idea is really good too. It was what I started with,, except I am afraid of stability on the thin stainless legs. I am still thinking about it, and nice sketch!

If at first you don't succeed.....

I'm not sure if I like this but it's one way around the support issue, and I agree with you on that. Kind of a modified platform style somewhat hidden by the fake legs.

pic try again.

Can't seem to post another pic. grrrrrrr

Anyway I had a 2" wide platform inset 5-6" to the other side with inset on the other side. With the stainless leg raised 1/4 or so for looks.

Doesn't matter what I name the file this thing tells me it is already loaded. I'm not real fond of this software.

Ray

Mark, how about this? I borrowed Jamie's idea although I brought the post out to the same plane as the side rail of the bed. there would be a gap between the rail and the headboard post with a piece of stainless plate attaching the two on the inside face of the post.

The legs at the foot could be set in at least by the thickness of the rail.

If you want the SKP, let me know.

Dave

Nice design, I'm kin of struggling with the wide legs towards the headboard end and the very narrow legs at the foot. Also, what about the bootm being flat no side boards? I do like the idea of bringing steel into the headboard side to tie in. Can we get a pic of the night stands?
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs