Thread: Finial Help

Finial Help

I am working on this HF but can't seem to get the finial looking right. This is my best attempt so far. I do need to make a new one as I don't have the fit to the collar correct.

I am looking for any suggestions as to what I can do to improve this. I think I'm close but at a loss of where to go from here. My initial thought is,it needs to be taller, maybe more slender. What do you think?

The HF is approx. 5.5" diam and 2.75 tall. The finial is approx. 2" long. Also, if someone asks, wood is black oak, ebonized walnut collar and and black oak finial.

Thanks for your help.
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it's a nice looking finial. Finials are a matter of personal preference, but I agree with your suggestion to make it taller.

You are a better man than I am for making the finial out of oak.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    You are a better man than I am for making the finial out of oak.
    My first thought as well! That is a really open grained wood so turning it that thin has got to present some major challenges.

I agree that the finial could be a good inch or more taller. With some added height I think that finial will have some great proportion at its current diameter.

Nice looking piece!!!

A little taller would be good, also make the 'bulb' a little rounder in profile at the top. there is not enough curve in the line from the widest part of the bulb to the tip. I agree with the sentiment about turning oak for the finial.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Michael - keep in mind ratios when determining height for your finial. 2/3 usually works well and it can apply to the finial or the main form. Meaning the finial can be 2/3 the height of the form or the height of the form can be 2/3 the height of the finial - if you catch my meaning.

Finials are mostly a matter of personal taste....... yours. Unless the finial is to be functional - like a knob on a lidded bowl - then most folks shoot for making them as delicate as possible. That usually means thin and fragile looking in addition to using flowing curves to join whatever detail work you want to add.

I added a couple of comments to your photo to show some key areas to give some thought to. Let me point out though - this is only my opinion and only intended to get you thinking.

Profile - Black Oak HFm.jpg

Hope that helps some.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Michael,

Excellent shape on the hf. Ditto what Steve said. The finial height looks ok. Suggest you make another "practice" finial with same overall design but make the "bulb" diameter smaller and make the tip a sharper, more slender point. Just two small changes. Make everything else the same and see what you think.
    Richard in Wimberley

This is another area where a little photo manipulation may be faster and easier than turning more finials, though the turning experience is worthwhile too.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Yeah..I'll go along with Steve's recommendations. Because it is a personal preference, and you think "it ain't quite right" then that ought to tell you something. It's not just a matter of height...it's a matter of ratio.

Nice job overall. I like the piece...even the finial.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Michael, along with the great comments you have received so far, I will add one thought. On this type of finial, with a cove topped with the onion, I try to (a) make the cove such that if one followed the curve coming out of the cove it would flow into the onion, and (b) try to achieve a smooth curve if one drew a line along the top surface of the form, and swept up touching the protruding edges of the finial - the wide portion of the onion bulb, the tip embellishment, etc.

This isn't always easy, and I don't always achieve it, but it is usually my goal.

And, I will add my vote to your efforts with oak - that is challenging!! They are difficult enough with a good, tight grained wood like African Blackwood. For domestic species, walnut and holly seem to do very well, too. I have done only 18 or so finials, and yours is a very good effort. They do get easier, and I have gravitated toward the Blackwood as my favorite wood for this type of work. It is a pleasure to turn, but a little hard on tools so you need to touch them up often. They finer the cut, the sharper the edge!

Great looking piece, BTW, and I do like the color combo.

A fine attempt..I love the bowl part..the oak looks just super..The finial is a matter of opinions..every one has one & all are right..Steve: that is a super teaching tool you used..wish you could use it more often..It's hard sometines to understand others directions & descriptions..taking the pic & adding the text & arrows, just makes it fantastic...thanks

Thanks for all the advise. I will make a new on tonight and post it. Actually, I'll make a couple and go from there. I will post a pic when I get something worth looking at.

Thanks
    Mike

Well, I'm haven't even reached the beginner stage yet but to me some wood are "strong" and "heavy" Others are "delicate" and "light" (I'm talking apearance). Oak, of coarse, is S&H in my opinion so a heavier looking finial is suiting. Hence I like that finial with that bowl. I wouldn't care for a real delicate finial here. I really like this piece as it stands. Beautiful.

You seem to be getting excellent advise from those far more experienced than I so I'll simply say, keep playing with it as I believe you're very close!

I do agree with John about the wood choice and because of his raves and reviews I have become a African Blackwood fan!

Thanks John,

MMc

FWIW, I think all you need to do is to thin down the lower bulb a bit and elongate the point so it does not look so "blunt". I think the height is fine even though you could use a taller finial without any issues. This is soooo subjective. There are really no "rules" although there are "rules of thumb". It's all about what looks "right" to you. I don't see any reason that the finial cannot be made from the same material as the form (which, in this case, is really nice BTW). I am rapidly becoming an "iconoclast" when it comes to finials. The "current trend" is toward very dark or black finials. These look great on most forms but I really like what you have done with this one with the form and finial being of the same wood with an accent piece between. Works for me...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Michael - keep in mind ratios when determining height for your finial. 2/3 usually works well and it can apply to the finial or the main form. Meaning the finial can be 2/3 the height of the form or the height of the form can be 2/3 the height of the finial - if you catch my meaning....
    Hope that helps some.
    I think it is real close and I am not sure I would do anything more to it. If I used Steve's ratio I wouldn't add more then a half inch to the finial height. I had a similar problem with one I did but it was too tall. I shortened to approximately the 2/3 ratio and now it looks decent. See my "No 8...Revisited" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=145372

"The best things in life are not things."