Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much $$ for big job

How much $$ for big job

Have a chance at our 1st big job. 74 pcs 68" x 45" 1 1/4 thick granite pnls to have names etched on it no art work. Coustomer to supply pnls and will deliver and pickup. I have 10 ton overhead crane and 5000 sq ft bldg so lifting and storage not a problem also our laser has 6'x10' work surface. Would it better to qoute job out by sq foot or by time it takes to do job. What would you grand masters of the laser world charge.
    Thanks PJ
    Last edited by Pat PJ Johnson; 08-04-2010 at 9:36 AM. Reason: Udate info
    Vytek LST610 FX2 3624 Laserworx

I'd estimate the time for receiving, loading and unloading the pieces into the laser, lasering, packing and billing and multiply by my shop rate. If I'm billing the customer and I think he'll be awhile paying, I add a finance charge.
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Exactly what Bill said - time the job from start to finish and multiply times your hourly rate. I always add in a "perceived value" charge as well. For examply, if the timed rate comes to $100 and the piece looks like it should be worth $300, then I'll add a bit to my rate to make up the difference and get it closer to $300. You also need to account for mistakes. If you make a mistake on a $2.00 glass, no big deal, if you make a mistake on the size piece you are talking about, it's a big deal if you have to replace it. Nothing worse than finishing a job in the hole because you made a mistake. You could also have a disclaimer that, in the case of a mistake, you will be liable for re-engraving, not replacing the piece. Try to cover yourself as much as possible.

Congrats on such a great opportunity!

Gary

How long do you estimate it will take to laser it?

If you only have the one laser it may be down awhile with this job and you won't be able to do your regular work flow.

What do you percieve your unusable pieces to be? 1, 2 or more?

Are you planning on buying a laser for this job and hope to pay for it with the proceeds?

Are you set up now for the weight and size of the pieces?

Is the client delivering and picking up the finished pieces?

There are many variables to consider with a job of that size.

Good Luck with it! It's always nice to get opportunities to bid
    on something like this, even though it takes us a bit
    out of our "comfort zone"

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

5. 1. Dont Worry About Quoting the Job

2. Send it to ME!!!!!!!!!

Handling one panel sounds like a two man job.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Those panels are about 400 lbs each x 74 ..That's about 14 tons of stone.. You got a fork lift and a place to put it?
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Those panels are about 400 lbs each x 74 ..That's about 14 tons of stone.. You got a fork lift and a place to put it?
    Ouch! That's a reality check.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Perhaps you can more easily move the laser to where the materials are located and work there for a few days. You will need 3 or 4 guys to handle each piece. I'd pass on it myself. Seems like a PITA - unless the money's right.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Pat PJ Johnson View Post
    Have a chance at our 1st big job. 74 pcs 68" x 45" 1 1/4 thick granite pnls to have names etched on it no art work. Coustomer to supply pnls. What would you grand masters of the laser world charge.
    Thanks PJ
    I'm not sure that this is a laser job. Sounds like a sandblasting job with cut vinyl masks, done on site where the granite is. Let your customer do all of the handling of the stone.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Pat,
    Although we are mechanical engravers and I can't give you advice on laser pricing, it appears that the LST610 is quite capable of handling such a job. If you have the power lift, it should make it all that much easier to handle the slabs. Figure your time in moving the slabs and do a test cut at the speeds you would use to laser the slabs to figure how much time it will take to load, cut and reload the machine. Simply multiply that by your hourly rate and you should have as honest a price as you can get. If you feel that the pricing competition is tight, drop your hourly rate to where you feel comfortable to get the job. Good luck, hope you get the job.

Coustomer wants all lettering to be laserd

Well, lasering and sand blasting leaves almost the same look except sand blasting allows you to go deeper, easier. Lasering should be more cost effective as it is more efficient.

@400lbs you need 4 guys to move the pieces by hand. It could drop to 2 or 3 if you have a fork lift or someone ate their Wheaties.

From there you need to figure out how long each slab will take to engrave. You should be able to do some sort of simulation to figure out how long it will take. From there, multiply by your hourly rate.

If you wanted me to guess how much each one would cost to engrave without knowing how much text or the design, I'd take a shot in the dark and say $300/pc.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

The pnls will have only names from tob to bottom its a memorial wall.

That's not really specific. More text the longer it takes to engrave. If we are talking about just about every inch covered, it will take 3-4 hours per panel I'd guess.

The best thing you can do is a simulation. Go grab a piece of scrap granite somewhere and do 1 line of text engraved. Multiply that by how many lines per slab and you'll get close. Make sure you figure in a percent error. So although it may only take 2.5hrs by your calc, assume you are wrong and it will take 3-3.5hrs. A couple of long names it's not far from the truth. You should also account for learning curve.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving