Thread: Color fill oak or walnut plaques ?

Color fill oak or walnut plaques ?

I'm experimenting with making laser engraved plaques and I'd like to color fill the letters, if I add paint it soaks in and bleeds, someone told me to use "Kilz Latex" but that is quite hard to apply without having it go on the outside of the letters and make a mess, is there a clear spray coat I could apply after the engraving to seal the wood and then paint with a brush the letters so it won't bleed then a clear sealer coat to finish it ?

eH ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey Maxwell View Post
    I'm experimenting with making laser engraved plaques and I'd like to color fill the letters, if I add paint it soaks in and bleeds, someone told me to use "Kilz Latex" but that is quite hard to apply without having it go on the outside of the letters and make a mess, is there a clear spray coat I could apply after the engraving to seal the wood and then paint with a brush the letters so it won't bleed then a clear sealer coat to finish it ?

eH ?

Thanks
    You can use a paint mask and your problems are solved. Laser through the mask, paint, remove the mask - done!

Gary

what would be the best paint for that, the laser bits pro color fill or another type of thick paint like that ?

I agree with Gary on the walnut but on oak you may run into some bleeding of color into the grain. I would recommend a liquid floor wax to seal the lasered portion before applying color fill.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

If the colour is 'black' use Turtle wax color cure. Just brush it on and in, let it dry, and wipe it off the surface parts. It won't bleed, and comes off finished wood very easy.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

We were doing this in the 70's with oak. the trick is to use non compatible materials. Clear spray lacquer over the engraved text to seal the wood. Then black (or colored) latex (waterbased) brushed into the lettering. Dry well, then a trip to the belt sander to clean it up. Finally, another coat of clear lacquer and you're done.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Color Fill

Mark,

Wouldn't masking take the belt sanding out of the picture? If you mask, engrave, then use the clear and paint - remove tape and wallah - you're done except a cover coat of clear again on all the wood.

That's my way of thinking, instead of sanding; as I hate having to sand after doing the engraving and painting part.

I may be totally wrong and that's okay; as I'm here to learn from the Pros.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press