Thread: Motor wiring question

Motor wiring question

I am definitely not an electrician so please be patient with this question. I am connecting power to a 2hp motor wired for 220V. Below is a picture of the wiring diagram on the motor plate:

Where the two hot lines are concerned I used a twist on connector to hold them (the real name of those things escapes me).

My question is for the other wire pairings (T2,T3,T8 and P2) where the plate says "TAPE". Do they really mean that I can just twist them together and wrap in electrical tape? If not, why on earth would they put that on the plate??

Thanks in advance for your help on this. It's one of the last steps before I can fire up my new (to me) jointer.

Jeff

Blog Entries
    Use connectors, not tape.

A large enough wire nut can be used, then apply tape over it to keep it from coming loose. Describing that operation in one word is hard, so they just said, "TAPE"

Thank you! I'm heading out to the shop this morning to sort it out.

Jeff

The large "dot" that the "wires" on the diagram connect to is also a hint to tie or tape or short those lines together.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    A large enough wire nut can be used, then apply tape over it to keep it from coming loose. Describing that operation in one word is hard, so they just said, "TAPE"

If the connection is done correctly, no tape is needed over a wire nut.

Well I got it all wired up, bolted in and connected to the switch. Fired it up and it was rotating in the wrong direction

As per the motor plate it was supposed to be CCW when facing "lead end" (which is the shaft end yes?). Anyways, took it back out and switch the appropriate wires and bolted back in etc.. and now she runs smooth (passes a Canadian nickel test so far!).

Thanks again for the tips.