Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini-Split AC units

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Bartimmo View Post

From what I have read the mini-split surpasses all the other units for cooling power and efficiency, with exception of central a/c.
    Now...has anyone installed one of these units in their shop or house???

Thanks,
    Edward
    Yes I have installed many of these units and this statement is incorrect. There are no units more efficient (SEER being equal) than a ductless split. These units suffer no air loss or temperature loss due to extended duct lengths as the evaporator coil is located in the conditioned space. These units are also available with inverter driven compressors which severely drop energy consumption and wear, and increase compressor life

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Wiliams View Post
    I know very little about these and I am interested so a couple questions....

What are the noise levels at each end of the system and is there a limitation of the distance between each unit?
    The better quality units are whisper quiet, almost unnoticeable. There is a limitation for length of refrigerant piping runs. It varies by manufacturer but is critical as the units come pre-charged.

Edward,

I live about 25 miles north of Houston and had a mini-split system installed in my 3 car garage last year. It's a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim AC/Heat Pump unit. Only thing I can say is that if you can afford it, do it you won't regret it. It's super quiet and works great. I think my total installed price was about $2800 and I overpaid for the install. I bought everything online through an outfit called AC Wholesalers. That includes wiring and lineset. Don't know how much area you have to cool but they have an overstock sale going on right now. I saw an 18k btu LG cooling only unit for like $1064 or something.

Joe

+1. Love my unit. Has truly made my Florida shop year-round.

Be careful that you don't kink the copper pipe as it goes outside the hole, around corner.

We have a Fujitsu mini-split(ac-heat pump) in our recently built 450 sq foot addition,12 ft ceilings,R35 in the ceilings,R19 in our walls.To cool the unit runs at a high fan rate when we first turn it on,then slows when it reaches the set temp,we keep ours at 76,but any lower set temp and it runs at its high fan rate and will not slow down.I feel it does not do its job as advertised and these units came highly recommended from mult ac companies we spoke to.We have had it serviced from two ac companies and they say its ok.At $4200 i feel there are better choices out there and would have spent the extra to have a tradtional home unit worked into our home addition.
    Jeff

Jeff, I have a very different opinion of my Fujitsu unit. I can easily keep a temp of 70 degrees in 1500 sqft with 9' ceilings with the outside temp over 90 with 80% and more humidity. During your 2 service visits did the techs properly clean both the indoor and outdoor units? As I stated earlier in this thread, dirty units (especially evaporator coils) will significantly reduce performance. I find that the air filters and electronic air cleaner need cleaning at least every second week, and a thorough cleaning of the in/outdoor units twice a year is needed to keep the unit performing at peak efficiency.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Smile

Brent,thx for your advice.the air filters are cleaned every 3-4 weeks.the evaporator coils i'm not sure on,i will look at the work order's.the technicians come off the roof and say everything looks and checks out to be normal.i tried to be a savy consumer with doing research and such.we do live in Tucson Az. with summer temps 100-105.one other thing i noticed is that i never have seen the unit drain any condensate during our humid monsoon months?.
    Jeff

Hi Jeff,
    They need to clean both innner and outer units for the machine to work to peak efficiency. When you say you never see any condensation come from the unit, do you mean the interior unit? On a humid day I could easily fill a quart bottle with the amount that comes off the evaporator coils on each of my interior units. The dirtier the evaporator coils, the less job they do meaning less humidity being removed from the room at a higher price.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Smile How well . . .

How well do these units handle shop dust. Are the usable in a shop where the dust is controlled by a total dust collection system?

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .