Thread: lee valley blast gates in pvc?

lee valley blast gates in pvc?

will they work in sdr-26? it's about an 1/8th" thicker than sdr-35.
    can anyone measure the exact outside diameter for me?

In my experience, stuff designed for flexible hoses comes nowhere near fitting PVC. But you should call/email Lee Valley, I've always found them incredibly helpful. I'm sure someone will run out to the warehouse and measure one for you.

already wrote them to ask.
    the blast gates are for hardpipe as far as i know.
    i think they fit the sdr35 just wondering how tight.

Not sure if this helps but you can heat up the PVC pipe with a torch, install your fitting then let it cool. You can also use a hose clamp to draw the heated pipe close around the fitting.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Andy,

If I can possibly remember, I will look at home tonight and see what I did. I have the LV gates and 2729 6" pvc running all over my shop. Please feel free to bug me (PM) so I can help you.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Which model gates? What size?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Glue the fittings with polyurethane (gorilla) glue. It will fill any gaps and make your connections airtight and rock solid.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Maldoror View Post
    will they work in sdr-26? it's about an 1/8th" thicker than sdr-35. can anyone measure the exact outside diameter for me?

By now you've probably finished your dust collection system, but I'm still working on mine and had the same question, so I bought one 6" self cleaning blast gate from Lee Valley to try the fit for myself.

The gate itself is 5 7/8" outside diameter with a slight taper and the sewer and drain duct I'm using is 6 1/16" inside diameter. Much too big of a gap to try to fill with glue or silicone. So, I cut a 1" piece off the PVC pipe and then cut a section out of the piece so that it would collapse to the size needed to fit inside the 6" PVC. Can't tell you how much I took out, I just nibbled away until it was the right size. Then with this "spacer" inside the pipe I fit it over the blast gate, with the help of a wood block and a hammer (paying heed to the time tested rule: "don't force it--use a bigger hammer). Before installing I will fill any gaps with silicone, but even now, it's solid and tight.

At this point I'm happy enough with the fit to buy all the blast gates from Lee Valley that I will need for the shop, knowing I can make them fit easily.

I put silicon tape around the gate, put a worm clamp on the pipe, insert the gate, tighten the clamp. and voila - nice and airtight.
    Paul

have you considered the blastgates by Clearvue. They were designed for 6" PVC and fit 2729 perfectly. They are also well made

Hitting PVC with a torch is a terrible idea for your health. Any time PVC creates smoke, it releases Dioxins into the air .. Its a well known cancer causing agent .. ( lungs ) ..

Can cause Angiosarcoma (liver cancer) as well. PVC is nasty stuff.

I'm very happy with the Clear View fittings. They are much better than the black fittings that most places sell. I haven't used lee valley fittings.

+3 on the Clear Vue gates. Why mess around?

ian