Thread: Rebuilding antique table

Rebuilding antique table

Need some help? I am rebuilding a antique table , need to add new leafs --Question how long does the table need to be--- to seat three person on each side ? My client wants to seat eight . What should be the miniuum length ?

Blog Entries
    WHen we remodeled our church the architect said that people width for seating varies from 18" to 24" according to architect guides. My suggestion would be to measure the chairs and figure 2-3" between them at a minimum.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee has some good advice and in the range. Buffet style gets tighter spacing with top brass VIP and formal getting the most space. You just have to decide how big of a table fits the room, and how cozy or roomy they would like the seating. Anywhere from a small of about 21" to around 38" a person whould do it.

Also, a wide table can host a person on the end. But, makes it harder to pass accross the table. This also intrudes into the space for those on the sides. So give about an extra 12" to the sides if you would like to utilize the ends for seating.

Our Stickley Dining Table is 74 inches long with the two leaves up, providing good space for three people on a side. The center section is 28 inches wide, each leaf is 23 inches wide.

I would want to err on the conservative side for the comfort of the diners, especially given that we, as an average, are "bigger" these days! Therefore, I'd figure at least 24" per person and a little more as a minimum if it is not out of character with the design of the table. IMHO, of course...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim has point in his last sentence. While modern measurements would dictate 24" +-, you stated you are adding to an antique table. Depending on the age of the table, the distance when it was built could be as little as 18". You'll need to take into account the character of the table and not just what will be comfortable. If your primary criteria is comfort build a new table.