Thread: Pricing

Pricing

Yesterday I did a job for which I charged $135.00 It was one of those Swedish carving knives which goes for about $40.

The knife was a gift for a fellow retiring at Boeing from people in his dept. Anyway it involved putting a short message on the blade using Cermark then engraving and color filling 22 names around the octagonal wood handle. I used an engraver's vise from one of my other machines to secure the piece.

I wanted pictures but my battery is dead. Anyway the customer was very pleased and said they would bring more work my way.

The point is that $135 engraving on a $40 knife was perceived to be a good value due to the complexity of the engraving. I spent about two hours which is more than expected but I hadn't intended to color fill the thing.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Still, $65-$70/hr is nothing to shake a stick at...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Cool Mike. Maybe not charging the highest going rate will get you more business from them. One of the other members here does some things with Boeing and he gets repeat business due to the "Value" he gives them for what he charges.

While I'd like to charge $60-$70 an hour; that is kind of unrealistic in the DFW Area and it would price me out of selling things to my customers. Maybe bigger businesses and corporations will pay more; but I don't have many inroads into a lot of them yet. I'm trying; but currently individuals, small business, and Fire / Police Departments are my bread and butter.

Have any of you tried your local FD / PD's for business? I'm gaining some ground here with my area ones and some smaller ones that many engravers won't service due to smaller quantity orders. They love the 5 x 7 granite ovals with their badges and the circles with the Maltese Cross customized / personalized to their department, rank, and #. Just a thought for everyone out there.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

Mike, I think that's being fair on pricing, not to much, but still enough
    to justify the extra effort with Cermark, layout and positioning.

Sure you may have made more per hour doing nametags, but it when you show off you talents that brings in the new work!

You become the "go to" guy.

I'm still reaping the benefits from the heraldic device I created last year.
    Sometimes these type jobs pay for themselves over and over with additional orders!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post

The point is that $135 engraving on a $40 knife was perceived to be a good value

Exactly. We all sell our products at perceived value, no matter how much or little it costs us. The difference is profit. Profit allows you to buy a new machine, live better, whatever. The customer always decides what he will pay. It is up to you to make it profitable.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

I have explained to customers that my labor at $100/hour is about the same as local auto mechanics, and while I may not be able to do all of the same work that they do on cars, none of them have a laser or the ability to use one!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Swift View Post
    Have any of you tried your local FD / PD's for business? I'm gaining some ground here with my area ones and some smaller ones that many engravers won't service due to smaller quantity orders. They love the 5 x 7 granite ovals with their badges and the circles with the Maltese Cross customized / personalized to their department, rank, and #. Just a thought for everyone out there.
    Hey Terry, That's a great Idea
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

My customer sent these pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    I like it... the paper packing material is a darn good looking substitute for wood shavings, too.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5