Thread: Any good sources for Backyard Shed plans?

Question Any good sources for Backyard Shed plans?

I need storage at a new location. There is already a 10' x 10' concrete slab, so the shed will probably go there.

When I look at ready-made sheds at Home Depot and Lowes, I feel suspicious of anything made primarily of wood chips and glue .

I would rather follow the plans, use decent materials, and learn something about carpentry along the way. I have never built anything bigger than furniture before.

Brian Kent
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Try this place:

http://www.betterbarns.com/

Nice shed plan plans along with barns.

I understand wanting to build your own but to me there is a point that I find its just as cheap and much faster to have it done.

My shop is a 12x16 Tuff Shed and it is a great building I have 2 sky lights and a window. It is made very well and it was put up in 1/2 a day.

Menards has a computer station that you can design the shed, print out the plans and a materials list. Home Depot also has one, but you have to work with them at the contractors desk. I built my own 10x12 for significantly less than any prefab that was worth anything.

Framing is pretty easy, especially if you buy pre made roof trusses. You can make it match your house that way, too.

There is a lot of info on the net about proper framing methods.

Building a shed is a fairly simple forray into building construction. With a little research, you can design and build a shed exactly how you want for much less $ than a pre-fab. If you can build furniture, building a shed should not be a problem.

Here are a few websites that helped me when I built my shed:

http://www.blackanddecker.com/projec...589_23779.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...?click=main_sr

http://www.blocklayer.com/pitchangle.aspx

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...?click=main_sr

After a bit of reading, I designed and built this storage shed. It is exactly what I wanted. It is 8'X12' and 11' tall at the peak. The front door is 32" wide and the side barn doors are each 30" wide for a 60" openning. After looking at several sheds, you'll likely start making a list of the features that you want. Then simply put them together, draw up a plan, and you're off.

C
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just copied the one in the parking lot at HD. Buy your windows first on sale or at Habitat and design the framing around them. Think long and hard about door size and hanging. Design trim so it overlaps the opening to help weather proof it. A barn roof increases storage overhead for not much extra money.
    I wish mine was taller so it would be easier to remove shovels stored in a barrel, they hit the roof before they come out.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Olver View Post
    Building a shed is a fairly simple forray into building construction. With a little research, you can design and build a shed exactly how you want for much less $ than a pre-fab. If you can build furniture, building a shed should not be a problem.
    C
    Nice shed Clint!

8. If you are looking for shed plans i recommend visiting https://www.buildingmyshed.com our blog has alot of information about shed building and woodworking tips. We also provide you with a free shed plan to get you started.

Pay attention to any vents. the cheap ones used for the big box stores are applied on top of the siding. This means they can and will leak when the caulking fails. I used the kind that are nailed onto the framing then the sheeting goes over. Any leaks are caught and sent out over the sheeting. relay on gravity for water proofing not caulking. Of course this requires you to plan some framing around the vents not just cut random holes for vents
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I need storage at a new location. There is already a 10' x 10' concrete slab, so the shed will probably go there.
    When looking for shed plans, suggest omitting any that use ceiling joists. Instead look for plans that have a supported roof ridge and no ceiling joists. Without ceiling joists, a lot of extra storage space is gained in a shed.
    Last edited by mike sato; 11-06-2017 at 1:31 PM.

Look for your local construction codes

One possible issue you need to be alert if you are going to plan and construct your own shed is your local construction codes. Some of them can be very restrict for foundation, max height, general sizes and materials. I strongly recommend you to check your local construction codes before anything... Good luck, it is a funny project, I am sure!

Brian,

At least some of the pre-made buildings are well made. I've had a 12x16 Amish-built shed for a dozen years. I bought one with metal roof and siding. I have another one 10x20 I bought used made with the wood chips and glue with shingled roof - not a single issue with it and I'm sure it's older than the other. The nice thing about these is you can move them if needs change. Sitting one even partially on a concrete slab would work well.

That said, I've built a number of sheds from 100 to 400 sq ft on concrete slabs and can appreciate you wanting to do it yourself, both for the satisfaction and the learning experience. I got started with a couple of books that clearly showed how to construct walls and roof and add doors, etc. This was great experience and when it was time to build my shop (24x62) I was ready.

Sorry, I don't have any specific books in mind. What I did was get several books to learn how then make my own plans, adapting things from several sources as needed. There is a lot of free info on the internet as well. You'll have to decide on siding, roof construction, roofing, etc. If you don't need to insulate, metal siding looks good and lasts forever. I always draw up everything in detail before I start to avoid unpleasant surprises.

One thing - it's not too difficult to form, mix, and pour a little extra concrete on one or two sides of your existing slab if you want a little extra space.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    When I look at ready-made sheds at Home Depot and Lowes, I feel suspicious of anything made primarily of wood chips and glue .
    I would rather follow the plans, use decent materials, and learn something about carpentry along the way. I have never built anything bigger than furniture before.
    Brian Kent

For design ideas https://www.summerwood.com/

hardest part for me was figuring out the bolt locations so they stayed clear of studs since those have to be installed before the concrete is poured. Mine is only 10x12 so I used one piece mudsills no need for a double bottom plate. I did double the bottom plate on the short walls to tie it all together. Just used shorter studs on the end walls.
    make sure you tie it down so it does not blow away
    Bill D