Thread: We went and done it.... finally...

Talking We went and done it.... finally...

Yup... we got a new woodturners club started in Frederick Maryland.. we are called the Mid Maryland Woodturners and would like to welcome anyone in the area (or visiting the area) to come out and join us on the first Tuesday of the month at 7PM... so far only 13 of us, but you have to start somewhere... we have a wide knowledge base from rank beginner to gallery quality turner
    One of the first pieces of business enacted was to become a AAW Club...
    Yours truly was shanghaied into the job of president..
    If anyone would like more information please contact me at oldgriz@oldgriz.biz and I will be glad to let you know what is happening
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

Congratulations, Tom. That's about how my local club, Minnesota Woodturners Association, got started back in 1987 with 20 members. This year, our membership hit over 200. I joined as a beginning turner four years ago and can't say enough good about such organizations. Your AAW affiliation will be particularly valuable if your membership does any official club outside demonstrations. This is all spelled out in the latest AAW journal, American Woodturner, in an article about AAW's liability insurance for chapter members who also are AAW members.

Another benefit is the availability of member discounts to certain woodworking retail stores such as Rocklers and Woodcraft. You'll need to equip your members with official membership cards and negotiate these discounts with these stores at the local level.

Best of luck to you and your membership. It won't be long before you'll be discussing publishing your own newsletter and maintaining a web site.

You also have my congratulations, Tom. Having an AAW chapter in your area will certainly help to grow turning and provide many opportunities to learn and share. I know I enjoy every meeting of my own local chapter. Frederick is a beautiful area, too...I spent a LOT of time there a few years ago working with the county and school district on their communications needs! (48K miles of driving in 18 months worth...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom,
    I'm glad to hear you started that as I am working on getting something going in my neck of the wood as well. There are some groups around but the ride seems to be 50 minutes in each direction. I think I will start another thread asking for suggestions. I know offhand of a few prospective members and think I can find a few more without too much trouble. Best of luck to you and the rest of the group.

WTG Tom. Good luck with the club.

Bruce

Congratulations Tom, I have to drive almost 2 hours to a meeting with our club, I think it is worth every mile.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

If anyone would like a copy of our email newsletter sent to their club or for themselves, please give me the email address and I will put them on the mailing list...
    Thanks...
    Tom Mullane
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you work with your hands you are a laborer
    If you work with your hands and head you are a craftsmwn
    If you work with your hands, head and heart you are an artist

That's great Tom! If I didn't get up 5:30 A.M. each day and live nearly 2 hours away, I would join.

Stefan

Good job, Tom! It's about time for the Mid-Maryland Woodturner's TAT..
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator