Thread: Czech Edge chisels

Czech Edge chisels

Just got my set of Czeck Edge chisels from Bob Zajicek.
    They range in size from 1/8" to 3/8".
    Fit and finish look great. Came sharp, but not honed.
    Still on backorder are two skew chisels.
    Not on website yet but maybe soon.
    If interested just ask him.
    Discount if ordering a set.

Eric

Chisels.jpg

Looks like a nice set of chisels.

They look great. I find that I like working with pretty tools!
    The Plane Anarchist

They look nice. What are the handles made from?

Nice looking set of chisels! good for you. They look similar to my Blue Spruce... on the picture any way
    Let us know how you like them!

Additional Info

I don't know what type of wood they used but the color is in the impregnation. The brass is solid brass with square broached holes for the blades. My only minor gripes are that the makers name is not on the chisels nor are any sizes. The plastic bag they were each sent in are marked Czech Edge. They also each came with a plastic tip protector. Also in the package were extra tip protectors.

They feel well balanced and seem a good length for detail work.

Soon I'll start on a music box for SWMBO.

Oh, and thanks. They do look good.

Eric

nice chisels, but i'm actually more interested in the ruler. where did you get that?

Blog Entries
    I had a chance to meet Bob at the LN tool event here in Tampa. Great guy and his marking knives and chisels are really nice.

The Chisels look great! I would guess that the handles are Curly Maple... the grain looks right.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Ruler Info for Mike

Mike I can't tell you much about the ruler. Picked it up on E-Bay a few years ago. Here are details:

Size: 12" long, 1 7/8" wide, 5/16" thick
    Graduations: 1/4's and 16th's
    There are 12 different woods. Each is about 1" square showing front and back. The construction was basically gluing the wood squares into a row and adding a strip on each side.
    The edge with printing is sloped down until it meets a brass metal insert.
    The other edge has a simple profile on it.
    The woods were: Poplar, Butternut, Locust, Oak, Maple, Cedar, Sycamore, Chestnut, Cherry, Ash, Walnut, Lynn
    The printing and rule divisions look to have been embossed.

There is a patent number D-94078
    On the back was hand burned "Chimney Rock N.C."

I got it as a handy wood reference.
    And no, it's not for sale.

Enjoy. Eric

resin impregnated curly maple

The handles of the Czeck Edge chisels are a stablized wood product made from curly maple and died ebony. These chisels were developed as dovetail chisels, hence the small sizes. I'm also making use of these chisels for operations other than just cutting dovetails. They're small size makes them a great for inlay work. The ferrules are actually bronze.

I actually saw an attendee at a Lie-Nielsen hand tool event in Chicago drive one of these chisels completely thru a 3/4" piece of walnut with no damage to the stabilized wood handle.

Ron Brese

I actually saw an attendee at a Lie-Nielsen hand tool event in Chicago drive one of these chisels completely thru a 3/4" piece of walnut with no damage to the stabilized wood handle.

Ron Brese[/QUOTE]

Just for fun... Isn't it over killed for the use these chisels are intended for??
    Thant said, I think my BS DT chisels have a similar wood treatement...

Yes, overkill

Yes David that was overkill, however the intent wasn't to see if the metal part of the chiself would hold up, it was really a test of the stabilized handled. The mallet used was one of the stabilzed maple mallets from Blue Spruce. Not a mark on either the chisel handle of the mallet.

Ron

13. I don't yet have a complete set, but I do have the prototype for almost every size since I helped the folks at Czeck Edge design this chisel.

I do a lot of inlay and smaller scale work, and these chisels have met my criteria perfectly. They also are great for chopping small dovetails. It's so nice to be able to do smaller work without having to balance a giant chisel over fine work.

A little disclaimer: Bob is a friend, but I wouldn't lie for him. These tools really are great.
    BENCHCRAFTED.COM

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post

Ron Brese
    Just for fun... Isn't it over killed for the use these chisels are intended for??
    Thant said, I think my BS DT chisels have a similar wood treatement...[/QUOTE]

Bob did something similar at the LN show in Kansas City. The point is that the handle won't be damaged and even though they are small and good for delicate work they can take a beating.

During normal use you wouldn't be abusing them this way. Still, it is kinda fun to see in a sick sort of way.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.