Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why do manufacturers pinch pennies so badly?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Edwards View Post
    ..and many CAN'T pay for quality...it's a sad fact.
    Furniture for instance. You need a chair or two, maybe a couch - now. Buying later isn't practical and paying 2x for quality isn't possible. So you pay for a cheap product now.... and again later. Same cost overall, less quality each time.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-11-2010 at 7:01 AM.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Blog Entries
    Does it really make sense to purchase a quality piece of furniture that is going to get torn up by your animals and kids (or is that redundant)? In my retirement I'll have a quality couch, chaise lounge, etc., but until the dog stops shedding and the kids stop using it as a jungle gym, I'll stick with the cheaper stuff.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

There is another alternative

Don't forget the other option - "pre-enjoyed" stuff. That's how I get around the "but I can't afford to buy quality" argument. Everyone has different preferences and values, but this is how I do it.

Once I had a co-worker who turned up her nose at anything not shiny & new. Wouldn't buy a used car because she "didn't want someone else's garbage". She thought the idea of buying a "used house" was "gross". That's the most extreme example I've encountered and I felt sorry for her. My thought was "I'm driving a used car and living in an old house but I'm that much closer to retirement than you, and that's much more important to me." Plus my house was better built than hers and so was my car, but quality wasn't high on her list of values as much as 'new'.

I agree that if you insist on having shiny new stuff but don't have the budget to buy quality, you have one choice - go cheap. Me, I don't care about things being shiny and new. The level of wear I will accept depends on the item of course, but I'm willing to pay the same or even more for a higher quality used item than a new one of lesser quality. There are a lot of new saws I could have chosen for what I paid for my 5hp USA-Made PM66 (and I got a good deal), but I know I'll never outgrow that saw and it will outlast me.

To me it's about value and usefulness and need, not about impressing the neighbors or breathing the 'new car smell'.

Never bought a new car - and I don't expect I ever will. I have wanted to many times, but can't justify it. if I buy a gently used 3yo Toyota it will still last darn near forever, and I save a ton of money in exchange for not getting to pick the color.

Tools - I would love to have a shop full of Systainers, but as a woodworking hobbyist I don't feel I'd get the value for my money (even for the used stuff). If I made my living with my tools 10hr/day it would be a different calculation and I'd be much more likely to buy the green.

But as I've 'matured' and my income has risen, my standards and priorities have changed. Furniture and clothing for example - when a poor college student I used to haunt the second-hand clothing shops. Haven't done that since I graduated. For the first decade or so out of school we didn't have any new furniture, just an assortment of good-quality used stuff. Now when we buy furniture we buy the good stuff and expect to have it for life.

To each his own, but that's how I roll. You can afford more quality than you think you can if you look around.

Now the fact that real wages in this country have been stagnant forever, the role of trade policy and business ethics in offshoring jobs, and the capture of our system of government by business interests, those are related topics that bear on the question of why so many people are struggling and forced to shop at Wally Mart to survive. But they are also political topics and not suitable for or allowed on this forum so I'll leave them alone.
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.