Thread: Small "compressed" gloat

Blog Entries

Small "compressed" gloat

While I had absolutely no intentions of purchasing something like this - well, it's never very hard to justify buying something new for the shop. Here's the story. As I posted about a week or two ago - I have hundreds of feet of oak trim to apply in the bar room project here at home. I had all intentions of manually hammering it all up. After only a handful of pieces, it was fast becoming obvious that things would be much simpler with air power. The oak being a harder wood that the normal species used for trim work, I was occasionally dinging up the trim. Now mind you, I have a big compressor out in the newer garage that I could run lines from. But that would entail maybe 100 feet plus of lines. They would be strung across our driveway and around the back of the house. Mud, rain, driveway traffic and the daily chore of picking everything up - well, let's face it - doesn't that sound like enough of an excuse to buy one of these pancake style compressors for the sheer portability?

So it was off to The Depot where I knew that they sold these compressors. Only one problem though. They only had package deals that came with two different P.C. guns (nailer and tacker) and I already had both of them. Turns out (so the H.D. salesman tells me) that Porter Cable doesn't sell strictly the compressors alone at the retail level - only in package deals. Has anyone got the real lowdown on that particular situation? Is that a fact. I ended up getting a much better deal on the next step up compressor through Amazon.com where I ordered just the unit itself.

So, now I'm the proud owner of a new pancake and portable air compressor. Don't know exactly how much use I will get out of it over the long haul since I already have a big compressor out with the shop. I suppose for the occasional trim work and the like in the home, or at someone elses home, it will come in handy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Fred -

Congrats on the compressed gloat. Based on personal experience, you will use it a lot more than you think. It is a loot easier to haul that into the house than to rig up extension hoses from the big compressor.

Ted

I done the same thing 6 years ago. My wife is still uses the small compressor. They come in handy. Never have to many tools.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Congrats on the gloat. Sadly, the Drone does not know what it is saying. I know a couple of toyl shops around here that sell the compressors separately. The mini compressors are surprisingly versitile. It will come in handy for inflating tires, boats, etc... You will also find it useful for outdoor projects.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Lowes sells just the compressors.

Hammer? What's a hammer???
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...