Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finaly making some progress in the shop.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Finaly making some progress in the shop.

I actually started a few month ago but got hurt and have had to wait fora few very good friends to help out.

The first pic will sort of give ya an idea of the effort prior to 2 weeks ago.

The following pics I hoping I'm putting them in order.
    All of the wood working equipment went to storage unit the extra wood laying around the shop got stickered and moved to the basement with my sons help. All my mech. tools and everything under the sun that was left is sharing space in the basement or the deck. I've still got to skim the tape once more, when I can climb a ladder. (that will be weeks coming)

All the equipment is back in the shop but pushed up against one wall in the back of the shop. The 12' trailer loaded with 2090 bdft is in the garage. The electric still has to be installed correctly. That will be weeks in the future. I have have another 1450 BDft that just went into the kiln. all that wood is 8/4 - 10/4 so it will be about 6 weeks before I need to worry about that.

The insulation for the ceiling is R38 and R13 for the walls. I used 4/4's nailed through the concrete block for the wood rack. As many powder actuated nails that went into it it should never move or rack (hopefully).

The cheapest I found a 10 foot step ladder was made by Warner. The Borg and my local hardware store have the same price. 188.00 so I need that before I can get much more done. BTW I did none of the work including moving any of the equipment, wood or junk. I had to hire a contractor for the labor which made me madder than all get out, but what are you going to do with a back and hip injury that was aggravated by falling back wards from the outside of the tub into the tube.

Thanks for taking the time to look!
    Attached Images Attached Images

and more pics

Blog Entries
    You're doing some good David.

What is the size of the shop?

PHM

Outside dimension is 32X16X12 foot walls with a 10X10' door. Notice the heat pump hanging in the the only window opening. Works really good.
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 08-07-2010 at 10:33 PM.

last ipcs for a few days

some inside shots>

Looks like my shop, albiet a tad larger than mine, but all the same. Thanks for the pics, it kinda gives me an idea of what to look forward too..

What by any chance did you use for the floor? Sorry, I cant see too well they are kinda hazy.

Poured concrete with more rebar that you can shake two stick @ as well embedded fiberglass. Poured 8" thick not including the footers that where 3 feet deep.. I'm going paint the floor after I get some primer on the walls. I don't care about a top coat, maybe I should but I don't.

Very Very nice shop, I have to say. I plan to lay a wooden floor, on sleepers with some hand layed blowin insulation(just to give some R value)... but I am affraid that a combustable floor might be off limits, because its attached.

But I digress. Very nice, hopefully you can heal quickly, so that you can complete the shop and get back to woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Logana View Post
    Very Very nice shop, I have to say. I plan to lay a wooden floor, on sleepers with some hand layed blowin insulation(just to give some R value)... but I am affraid that a combustable floor might be off limits, because its attached.

But I digress. Very nice, hopefully you can heal quickly, so that you can complete the shop and get back to woodworking.
    Matt you have no idea how thi skilling me not to able to hobble around the shop and just fart around. Thanks

Ha... sounds just like me... I love messing with my tools... dont get me wrong, I am always safe, but sawing things is just alot of fun.... lol

A/C heat pump

I was asked a question whether or not the unit was window or through the wall type. It was a window unit. The block mason made the opening a non standard size so an off the self window would not fit, so I never bought a window, I just covered it up with OSB.

During the reconstruction I had the contractor frame the area and sink a few masonry screws in the shell. That way the unit can be removed from the inside for repair and the shell as well as the insulation stays in place.

I don't know the difference between the two types and its probably better that I didn't. With an 8 inch block there was plenty of support for the unit. It was insulated around all the sides and then some spray foam was used to seal a few crack.
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 08-08-2010 at 6:12 AM.

Tell me about the heat pump

Dave, you mentioned a window mounted heat pump. What make and model? Have you used it in a previous location? I'm remodeling a 22x22 block building and have yet to settle on my hvac.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Dave, you mentioned a window mounted heat pump. What make and model? Have you used it in a previous location? I'm remodeling a 22x22 block building and have yet to settle on my hvac.
    It's an Emerson Quiet Cool Md #12MW42HK

12BTU cool I think 10,000 BTU heating.
    the following link may help a bit
    http://www.diyprojects.info/bb/ftopic34411.html
    http://www0.dealtime.com/xPO-Emerson-Quietkool-12MW42K

Joe, this is the second time its been on becasue the shop had no insulation. It dropped it quite a bit in just and hour or so. My shack is 16X32X12' ceilings.
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (45.7 KB, 26 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (45.2 KB, 25 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (47.1 KB, 24 views)
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 08-08-2010 at 9:55 AM.

Very cool Shop!! Just wondering, what was your design for the lumber racks? You have a lot of wood so curious how you are storing all of it?

My shop is 32X16X12'foot ceilings. So i borrowed a design and adapted it from a steel wall to a concrete block wall. I made the uprights from 4X4 pressure treated installed 24 on center. This set a weak area in the middle due to the back it nil @ the boot and the top only. My original plan was to drill through the 8' block and use carriage bolts to secure the 4X4 to the wall to avoid racking and just plain failure of it pulling from the wall.

So the center 8x was rip into 2 pieces the one against the wall was 1 1/2 in and e nailed with a powder actuated stud gun the two outside 8 x where in stalled and rack legs where made it never got the dimension I wanted, but I'll think I have enough integrity to hold 2000 bdft..

Your right I have about about 1500 coming out of the kiln in 5 -6 weeks all of this wioodcisf used for flooring will need re sawn since most is 8/4 - 10/4. I still have another 1200c Bdft of reclaimed brown oak, reclaimed but never used chestnut, SYP, Douglas fir 1400 bdftof 60 year old black wall nut with a waney edge, some cherry, English walnut, Siberian elm, and some 1/4 sawn sycamore.

I ve got my hands full due to the past few weeks of medical set back.

BTW here is the original post
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=142654

I have other sheling that can be installed as runn over or stack and sticker on the floor.
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 08-09-2010 at 8:57 PM.