Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finaly making some progress in the shop.

That's a pretty nice shop that you're going to have. Do you have a plan for your DC setup? Also, that a whole lot of wood for a self-professed "newbie"....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Dienzo View Post
    That's a pretty nice shop that you're going to have. Do you have a plan for your DC setup? Also, that a whole lot of wood for a self-professed "newbie"....
    Hi Chuck,
    Thanks foe taking the time to comment. As far Dust collection goes
    I have one of those 650CFM Rockler mount on the wall units with the longest hose you can get. Works good for the planer and joint but the dang thing gets clogged (as least with Cherry) right at the impeller. I'm going to go for a one of those 30 gal trash can lids that act as a cyclone and shorten the hose length quite bit. Future D/C will be at least 3 hp and 24-2500 CFM with 6 in PVC. I'm sure there will be more questions when that happens.

Self professed newbie you betcha @ woodworking but not work.
    I've been cutting bait for close to a year now. Finish the mud and prime the walls then I'm in to setting a 16 work area for the shaper, RAS, and CSMS. Once that done than well see where everything falls in place at.

This is my second attempt to answer you. When I went to YouTube to copy a URL and I close the browser. Ive added a link to what the shop looked like just after all the machine shop equipment was move out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9I8qXDMEqU

You might find it humours because of the narration and the freaking mess LOL Enjoy.

From my last update I have been in pretty bad heath. I'm doing a lot better and I am finally able to get some stuff done in the shop over the past 2 weekends. A lot of sweeping, throwing stuff out. re-stacking and sorting wood. I think I finally figured out where a few things will go and decided what shop furniture I need to build. I starting rough cutting and dimensioning wood for a bench that was featured in Shop Notes 82? not sure about that. The bench will have 8 drawers IIRC and double doors for larger storage in the center. That should take up a bit of the clutter. I also built a 4 foot upper shelve that expands the width of the shop. The left side of the shop will be about 14 feet of benches with seperate work station for sharpening, etc. Dust collection will remain on wheels for quite a bit of time.

Thanks for looking

slider 014.jpgslider 011.jpgslider 010.jpgslider 013.jpgslider 009.jpgslider 012.jpgslider 011.jpg

David, you're making progress and feeling better. That's great. Congratulations on your shop project. Enjoy.

BTW --- If you don't have enough for all that wood I can make some room on my lumber racks.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Don, I think I'll relocate it to the floor in the house, a board @ a time. Wanna help

Blog Entries
    David,

Your shop looks really good.

Hope I get the chance to see it up close one of these days.

PHM

Shop looks great. I just have one question. How do you, and many others like you, stand to work in a place with no windows?

You will I can guarantee that ole man. Soon as I figure out 100% where stuff goes I'll be calling ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    David,

Your shop looks really good.

Hope I get the chance to see it up close one of these days.

PHM

Hey Dave,
    Good question. I wished it did have window but, 1. they take up to much wall space, 2. there is nothning interesting to look at, 3. the location of the shop would not permit any direct sunlight in, 4. it would cost more to construct, 5. If I wanna look out I'll open a 10'X10' door, 6 the space was supposed to be for a machine shop so noise reduction was a consideration, and last but not least the more the revenuers can see the more they can tax you on.

Oh yeah I forgot, Its not the windows or lack of that bug me it's the fact the walls and floor are not painted. Mostly likley never will be either.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    Shop looks great. I just have one question. How do you, and many others like you, stand to work in a place with no windows?
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 03-23-2011 at 1:18 PM. Reason: forgot something LOL

David - nice work on the shop! Looks like it's really taking shape. I hope you continue to get better.

I noticed your bandsaw - is that the Jet DXPRO? how do you like it?
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    David - nice work on the shop! Looks like it's really taking shape. I hope you continue to get better.

I noticed your bandsaw - is that the Jet DXPRO? how do you like it?
    It's my first band saw so I have nothing to compare it with. I think its a great saw. The resaw capability can't be beat. Very little drift. It did require a bit of TLC straight out of the box. The wheels where not co-planer and the table had to be shimmed .018 IIRC. The problem with the table was the kerf from top to bottom was about 3/16 off.

For example cutting a tenion, ripping the area for the cheeks, when you hit your mark for the depth on the top the kerf would hit the mark. Flip it over and it was no where near the scribed mark. Laying a square to the back side of the blade indicated quite a large discrepancy. I posted a question to the forum for help. Search bandsaw cutting down hill or review the posts I have started to find it.

It tensions and track very good. I'm happy.

You video looks strangely familiar. Oh! That's right. It looks just like my shop. I got my shop semi-setup and started projects and found myself having to move too much stuff to accomplish too little. I'm not the personality type that flourishes in chaos. I enter into a state of grid lock and nothing is accomplished.

It is interesting how sheet rock really defines the space compared to insulation vapor barrier and studs.

Getting a place for everything is a huge step towards improving work flow. Things get cluttered and messy enough just working on a project, never mind moving that box of junk you've been 'storing' for years, a half dozen times in one afternoon in the shop.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.