Thread: Odd little cherry form

Odd little cherry form

This piece of wood dictated how it would be turned - kinda flat on top, 1/4" or so walls, cherry. Danish oil and lacquer, 3 wheel buffed. About 7"x3".
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it... Nice color with a bit of character.

Nice job Mike. I'm working on a couple of cherry pieces myself. Can't wait for it to darken.

Nice chunk of cherry. I like it, simple but nice.

"The best things in life are not things."

Nice job Mike! Pretty hard to hollow in the shoulder areas on that style form. Looks like you managed it quite well!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

very nice...

Mike,
    Nice job and beautiful wood. I have a couple that are headed in that direction. Question, how are you rechucking to deal with the foot? I have two ideas, one is expensive and the other would require a lot of work...I hope Im overlooking the obvious.
    thanks for sharing!
    mj

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    This piece of wood dictated how it would be turned...
    Mike, most times, that is the rule! In this case, it turned out in your favor - nice work, and a beautiful piece of cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Davey View Post
    Nice job Mike. I'm working on a couple of cherry pieces myself. Can't wait for it to darken.
    Nate, put it on the window sill - I have some that are very dark on top, and very light on the bottom (as well as on the side away from the window).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
    Mike,
    Nice job and beautiful wood. I have a couple that are headed in that direction. Question, how are you rechucking to deal with the foot? I have two ideas, one is expensive and the other would require a lot of work...I hope Im overlooking the obvious.
    thanks for sharing!
    mj
    Michael, let's see if I can remember (getting old ). I actually think I used my cole jaws, and held it in place with the tailstock. Then removed the nib with a chisel, and hand sanded the little I couldn't get to while still on the lathe. Is that what you were thinking? A jamb chuck in your chuck (made of pine or other soft wood) would work just as well or better.

chuck it back up

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Minto View Post
    Michael, let's see if I can remember (getting old ). I actually think I used my cole jaws, and held it in place with the tailstock. Then removed the nib with a chisel, and hand sanded the little I couldn't get to while still on the lathe. Is that what you were thinking? A jamb chuck in your chuck (made of pine or other soft wood) would work just as well or better.
    I bought some longer screws for the cole jaws and a couple of extra rubber bumpers, (it has to grab the sides - no edge) and I guess adding the tailstock there would be simplest.
    I tried a jam chuck before but it didnt work so well. I was thinking that if I made more of this shape (I dont know why) a little donut chuck recessed for the "ball shape" would be best.... vacuum chuck is not even on the back burner at this point.
    Thank, I appreciate you help,
    mj

Quote Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
    Mike,
    thanks for sharing!
    mj
    Michael I don't know the size of your project especially the opening but would the opening be large enough to use the cole jaws in expansion mode with the rubber bumpers set in the inner most holes??? You don't need a lot of holding force to remove a tenon.

On large open vessels like bowls and platterd I use my 6" face plate with it's edges wrapped in soft tape as an inside jam with the tail-stock holding the vessel in place.

Just some thoughts.

"The best things in life are not things."

Another option is pad the jaws on your chuck with some paper towel and then open them in expansion inside the form. With light cuts, this works really well. That's how I usually finish the bottoms of my smaller HF(using little step jaws on a talon chuck I can grip inside openings 1" or larger).

Mike that is a nice piece out of some pretty cherry.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.