Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodsmith`s Machinist Chest Complete

Very well done...You have some $ invested in the hardware too...very nice
    Jerry

Beautiful work John and a project I have often considered but never built. Did you plane your own lumber of did you find a source for the thin stock?
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    Beautiful work John and a project I have often considered but never built. Did you plane your own lumber of did you find a source for the thin stock?
    Yeah, that's my problem at this point. Some places calling for 3/8... That's dangerous on my (minimax) planer. It's funny how I always get back to needing a drum sander... Guess that's why they are as expensive as they are - people gotta have them.

wood sourcing

Hi Guys,

After seeing some of the prices on thin craft boards, an investment in a good drum sander and or a planer would probably pay for itself rather quickly. Processed wood sure is expensive.

The both big box stores sell thin boards and probably the least inexpensive, however the widest board avaiable is only 6",they`ll have to be joined.

This guy http://www.hardwoodboardsource.com/r...c-168_241.html has got the best selection of wood and all thickness ,1/4",3/8"and 1/2" pretty much any width you`ll need and he`s not cheap.

Another source I`v came across is www.thinboards.com allthough his web site isn`t working very well, he claims to be the chespest price on the internet.
    John Miletta

Proprietor of MachinistChest dot com

Here is another tool chest plan that I built for a gift many years ago. Made it out of walnut and turned out very well.
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=464&filter=plan
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale