Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Common sense when loaning tools, never again.

Common sense when loaning tools, never again.

I had a friend ask to borrow my cordless saw to finish his basement. I was gloating that I had a new one. I don't like loaning my tools anyway, but he's a friend. He was cutting a 2x4 board held up on his leg, well should I explain more. Yes, he ruined his jeans, cut a quarter inch deep two inch long cut in his leg and now is out of work. His wife was mad at me, I should have given him instructions. Instructions, I needed to loan some common sense. No, I should have loaned him my boys Little Tykes plastic saw. Do I need to get a lawyer or be worried?

I'd worry, people have to have someone to blame. I don't loan tools. Period somebody gets hurt or they come back broken or they don't come back at all. Hope your friend is ok though.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

this reminds me of working construction back in the 80's in st. pete florida. My sup kept telling this other guy on our crew to quit resting the circular saw on his leg after a rip... well after 3 times he finally got nailed... the guard did not come down and the blade just ate thru the sking and down into the bone... I even testified that he was warned more than 3 times about this and he still got work comp but in florida back then you could not sue for anything more than doc bills, mileage, Rx etc...

I hope everything goes ok for you.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

It did happen at his home in the basement, maybe it would have been better to bring over my chop saw.

My policy is to never loan out tools with blades or bits.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fabre View Post
    I had a friend ask to borrow my cordless saw to finish his basement. I was gloating that I had a new one. I don't like loaning my tools anyway, but he's a friend. He was cutting a 2x4 board held up on his leg, well should I explain more. Yes, he ruined his jeans, cut a quarter inch deep two inch long cut in his leg and now is out of work. His wife was mad at me, I should have given him instructions. Instructions, I needed to loan some common sense. No, I should have loaned him my boys Little Tykes plastic saw. Do I need to get a lawyer or be worried?

I don't loan, nor do I borrow. If I need, I buy. I don't know about the legal ramifications, but with society(and lawyers) being what it is..ya never know. hope it works out for ya
    Give an honest days work for an honest days pay

Interesting question..
    You were involved so share some degree of responsibility for what happened however slight that might be. Your fault- no, not in the least, but you are involved. Hope your friend is OK.
    Over the years I have seen a few such incidents occur. From a brother in law leaning his arm down on a borrowed table saw while having a chat, to a bad lathe accident.
    When I was in high school, a English teacher came in the wood shop after hours. He was given permission to use the lathe by the shop teacher. Ends up he mounts a large bowl poorly and gets the thing tossed up into his jaw with serious injuries resulting. He turns around and sues the shop teacher and school on the basis that they should not have given him permission to use the tool specifically because he should have been recognized as a person who was incapable of using it safely.

I work around a bunch of trades guys and do lend out tools. I don't lend out anything with a broken guard or other problems. I give clear instructions, safety warnings...etc. I won't let a guy just make a cut in the shop- I'll do it for him, but if he is doing some project at home and needs a tool, I'll lend it.

The most common problem for me is not lending tools- it's lending out my expertise.
    As soon as you give a opinion- you've had it. It can go from just a question to project management and unofficial/unpaid contractor in heartbeat.

There is that saying- a friend in need....

His wife is an idiot. Better hope she isn't vindictive,too. When I was the toolmaker in Williamsburg,other craftsmen would want to use some of the machines. I had written a safety manual for the machines in the shop. I made everyone who wanted to use the machines take the manual and return it signed before they could use the machines. I felt obligated to let them use the machines since they were museum property,not mine personally.

They weren't allowed to use my milling machine or metal lathes,just the wood working machinery. The self feeding metal machines could self destruct if someone let the tool holder run into the lathe chuck,etc..
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-08-2010 at 8:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    His wife is an idiot. Better hope she isn't vindictive,too. When I was the toolmaker in Williamsburg,other craftsmen would want to use some of the machines. I had written a safety manual for the machines in the shop. I made everyone who wanted to use the machines take the manual and return it signed before they could use the machines. I felt obligated to let them use the machines since they were museum property,not mine personally.

They weren't allowed to use my milling machine or metal lathes,just the wood working machinery. The self feeding metal machines could self destruct if someone let the tool holder run into the lathe chuck,etc..
    That sounds like good policy. The knothead is certifying that he did read understand and agree to follow the manufacturer's instructions. And here's the signed proof.

Quote Originally Posted by John Fabre View Post
    It did happen at his home in the basement, maybe it would have been better to bring over my chop saw.
    My opinion..it happened at his house not yours. If it would've been yours, then if he wanted to push it, your homeowners might have to be kicked in. Since it was HIS house, I'd only feel obligated to check on his status in a couple of days, hope his wife gets over it, and hope everyone can still be friends.

I'd say talk to him about it and get his opinion. If he says his wife is truly upset thinking it's part your fault, then you might just want to shell out a couple of bucks for an office visit and pose the question to a lawyer.

Her initial reaction is to be mad at you...after she calms down, she may realize just how bone headed her husband was.

I don't mind lending tools, but only if I think they know what they are doing. Of course, I would never expect someone to cut a piece of wood in their lap.

I wouldn't be overly worried. I would take the tack that the wife is angry at you because it is easier than admitting her husband is an idjit.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

12. You can teach someone to build anything, but you cannot teach anyone common sense.

Now you find out if your use of the word 'friend' in too liberal. Two years ago I was helping a friend with a door. I slipped with a utility knife and slashed his hand pretty bad.

We still laugh about it today, but he does step back if he sees me with a knife.

How does your friend feel about the situation. His wife is mad at you because she loves him and she's a crazy irrational woman., so that makes sense. If he's an idiot and she married him then she is an idiot by association. So you must be the idiot to clear her from blame. But how does he feell? My bil wanted a TS a while back, and I have several extra portables, but I said no way in Gods green earth was I lending a newb a machine that can cut off digits. So he and my SIL bought their own, and when I went to check out their set up, it was probably the scariest thing I had ever seen. Blade full up, fence mall adjusted, roving knife not aligned with blade, no out feed support, just push till the wood drops off the table. I asked " Why do you have the blade raised almost 3" to cut 3/4" pine." Answer? Because the saw came that way! Mine all have the guards and safety devices removed, so there was no lending them those, I'm willing and able to work that way but would never let a novice do it. I know cabinet makers with decades of experience that dred using a skill saw claiming it's not safe! At least with a Ts you can see the blade. At least if my Bil had borrowed my saw it would have been set up properly and he would have gotten my annoying and didactic waggy finger tutorial on TS safety and use.

I seldom lend tools, but when I do I always mention even to seasoned users "Hey, this thing can hurt you bad, and if you hurt. Your self that's on you, so work safe and ask any questions you need to."

I was always looking for a reason not to loan out tools. I read on one of the forums (maybe this one) that you should just say you would like to loan out the tool but your insurance company won't allow - it works every time w/o looking like your a you know what.

Mike