48 13.30%
  • Sometimes - when I think of it

15 4.16%
  • Sometimes - but depends on what tools it is

44 12.19%
  • Rarely or Never

19 5.26%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How often do you unplug when servicing your tools?

I do unplug however:

I had a minor accident even though I did unplug the router. Unfortunately while changing the bit I had inadvertantly bumped the switch to on. When I plugged the router in the starting torque caused it to tip off the bench and it fell to the floor. The router base was damaged and the bit was broken. Only my pride and wallet were hurt. I straightened the base and bought a new $29.00 bit.

No doubt the results would have been much more serious if I had not unplugged the router and it had started while I was changing the bit.

Lesson learned. I now check each time, that the tool I'm plugging in, is actually turned off.
    Last edited by Charles Krieger; 08-09-2010 at 4:11 PM. Reason: typo
    Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school. Einstein

In my shop I remove the "S" from scrap wood.

Once when I was young,I turned on a Stanley router with just the motor held in my hands. It twisted from the torque when it started,and I lost my grip. The motor stayed vertical from the gyro effect. It went straight down to the floor,barely missing me,landed on the 1/2" HSS bit,and spun like a top. I grabbed the cord and unplugged it quickly. The router bit lost about half its height before I got it turned off.

Keep a GOOD grip on when starting a router!

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I am so paranoid (injured once, paranoid a long time) that not only do I always unplug my TS when changing blades, I sometimes also throw the circuit breaker just to be sure

James

Absolutely every time, except for drill press. Gees, I thought I learned this right here from all the veterans!

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    I am so paranoid (injured once, paranoid a long time) that not only do I always unplug my TS when changing blades, I sometimes also throw the circuit breaker just to be sure

James
    For some stuff, like if I am messing with the V-belt on the bandsaw, Ill unplug it in two places.... because it wouldnt be hard for it to break all your fingers should it run them through... atleast when cutting you know exactly when its going to start eating material... so you can make sure its just wood not flesh that it eats....

6. Always.

I like all of my fingers and both my thumbs. If it's not plugged in it prevents accidents, which would likely be caused by my being careless or in a hurry..

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Always ,always, always!!!

Even changing the vacuum cleaner bag..

"The only thing worse than following the rules, is getting caught breaking them".

A trip to to the ER or morgue is getting caught.

Pinched up on the North Shore
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

unplugging your tools are a good idea but your freezer & fridge do not need to be unplug , they use to make a metal cover for plugs that kept them from being pull out by a cat or small kid

Quote Originally Posted by David Cefai View Post
    A question for the Americans: Do your sockets have switches? The British style of socket is usually switched so sometimes I switch off at the socket instead of unplugging.
    No, our sockets do not normally have switches. It is possible to add them, but they are not required by code and switched sockets are far from common.

I usually throw the circuit breaker before unplugging my 240V tools, mainly because I once plugged in a 240V 30A plug that had an internal short and it blew up in my hand. It flashed and then blew the breaker and the shop got dark, which added to the momentary panic that I had just killed myself, or at least made myself blind.
    Last edited by Josiah Bartlett; 08-10-2010 at 8:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    No, our sockets do not normally have switches. It is possible to add them, but they are not required by code and switched sockets are far from common.

I usually throw the circuit breaker before unplugging my 240V tools, mainly because I once plugged in a 240V 30A plug that had an internal short and it blew up in my hand. It flashed and then blew the breaker and the shop got dark, which added to the momentary panic that I had just killed myself, or at least made myself blind.
    They were common before the 60s... most elder homes have switched sockets, since people often used lamps instead of ceiling fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Aw,Gerry,that couldn't turn on by itself. Bill says he's 65 and never saw it happen. He thinks I lied about my jointer. Actually,Bill,it isn't the motor that turns itself on. It's the defective old switch.

LEO,IF the saw EVER did start with the wrench on the arbor nut,you might NEVER get the nut off again. What happens if you forget the wrench is on it,and turn the saw on? I advise not leaving the wrench on. I'm too old and absent minded to risk that. how about you?
    The wrench is not on the arbor nut, it is on the arbor itself. The wrench has a bend in it to fit in the special area on the arbor which has two flat spots to fit the wrench. You use the other wrench to turn the nut.

Pretty sure I won't forget the wrench is on it. It sticks out of the table 5" and you cannot put the blade insert in the saw with the wrench on it. Just not going to happen.

With a magnetic starter the only way it can start is by pressing the on button or by catastrophic magnetic anomaly in the vicinity of the relay.

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    unplugging your tools are a good idea but your freezer & fridge do not need to be unplug , they use to make a metal cover for plugs that kept them from being pull out by a cat or small kid
    Then they realized that was a bad idea.... since a small nick in the wire turned that electrified... and well... what happens when you go to unplug it.... not to mention incase of fire.... Now you can opt to have twist lock put in.... just safer...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Logana View Post
    Then they realized that was a bad idea.... since a small nick in the wire turned that electrified... and well... what happens when you go to unplug it.... not to mention incase of fire.... Now you can opt to have twist lock put in.... just safer...

SO someone good idea turn out to be a BAD idea

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Logana View Post
    They were common before the 60s... most elder homes have switched sockets, since people often used lamps instead of ceiling fixtures.
    Most people aren't running routers and table saws in their living room, either.

Like my life depended on it...because I believe it does!