Thread: Exterior Newel Post w/ some cracks - how to repair?

Exterior Newel Post w/ some cracks - how to repair?

Not really a woodworking question per se, well maybe a finishing one

I've got some 1/2 posts in between the full length posts on the front porch of my house. The ones with a "ball" shape on the top of them. They are constructed of laminated boards of pine, and the top ball of the post is effectively end grain. I did not make them, but bought them from a local supplier 5-6 years back.

Anyway, the end grain on one of the ball ends is starting to show some checks / cracks where a bit of the paint flaked off earlier this spring. By the time I noticed it, they were already there, and during humid weather they would disappear, and then when dry they reappear again.

I waited until I thought they were fully dry, then scraped, sanded, and filled the little cracks (about 1/64" wide) with some exterior wood filler. Then primed with 2 coats of primer and after that, 2 coats of exterior latex.

My thinking was that the exterior latex should have some give to it, and if the moisture / humidity finds another path into the ball, it might mitigate the cracks from reappearing.

I just recollected this as I sat down for my evening session on SMC, and thought I would post this to see what others might recommend in such a situation, if they do reappear at some point in the future.

Would an epoxy worked into the crack and then sanded smooth be a better approach before painting or are there other products I should consider?

Thanks !

Lewis

I think epoxy would be a better choice. Sand the post to bare wood, fill the cracks with resin thickened with sanding dust or other filer and coat the whole surface with resin. Then paint it.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    I think epoxy would be a better choice. Sand the post to bare wood, fill the cracks with resin thickened with sanding dust or other filer and coat the whole surface with resin. Then paint it.

Thanks Henry - I'll search out some epoxy as I have discovered a few other cracks here and there on the porch as well.

Cheers,
    Lewis