Thread: Building a bed in about a day. for $50!

Talking Building a bed in about a day. for $50!

The LOML and I had a problem up until last night at around 10pm.
    We, ah, um, broke our box spring on our mattress set.

For more time than I care to admit we've dealt with a slowly tilting bed. It was so bad that we literally had a 3" slope from head to toe of the bed. I finally had enough of that this morning, and I set about building a platform to set the mattress on. Awhile back I had planned on doing this, but never got a

well, it isn't pretty, and no I won't put up pics , but I went and 'invested' about $25 in lumber today, plus some CDX i had on hand and some screws. Simple inelegant two by doug fir.
    I cut them to length, drilled pocked holes in the risers and built a plywood topped platform tonight. It measures a stout 84x66 length x width, and 22 3/4 tall. I made three 2x4 frames using pocket screws and the kreg jig, tied them together with 2x3's on the face and temporarily with a strip of 3/4 cdx on the side in against the wall.
    This is a 'for now' bed platform, I will use the cdx panels when I build my real pedestal bed, as well as the frames. I will have to cut the vertical parts down, the LOML is only 5'4" and while she likes the storage underneath tonight, she would rather not have to climb into bed every night.

"Gee honey, I can just sit down with no problem... " She glared up at me (I'm 6'3" tall)...
    "Yes Dear, I'll cut them down later. "

The new platform did a fine job last night, I now need to build a bedside table, think I'll borrow a bit of design from one of the TLC shows and make a floating one that ties into the wall, just big enough for my alarm clock , lamp and CPAP machine. (I have sleep apnea, and the CPAP makes me sound like Darth Vader, but I don't stop breathing several times an hour now)

Eventually I'll wind up cutting the height down a bit, (I just threw it together and went 'too high to gain some storage space underneath the platform). I'll also add some nice ash raised panel treatments, a couple of underbed drawers, a padded headboard etc...
    that's on my winter to do list.

All told, I bet I put all of about 4 hrs into this, I wish I'd done it a few months ago, it sure was nice not to slide out of bed all night.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

Tell her it's victorian. They loved to climb up into bed. Or make her a little 2 step stool.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher
    Or make her a little 2 step stool.
    Ooo...ooo...ooo...another woodworking project!!! And a good excuse for that new dovetail jig you were considering...

great idea guys, hmmm a small step platform at the edge of the bed. yeah, that'll work!

Stots here I come! (really want a D4, but can afford a Stots master template right about now)
    Ned

2B1ASK1

My son and I build a platform bed for him. See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14538

We used 3/4 MDF.

Don't feel bad...platform beds down't show. I built nine with scraps around the house. I only needed to buy some cheap bundles of 1"x2"'s for the top. Cost me about $16 bucks, and its the sturdiest bed i have ever slept on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a rustic western cedar bedroom set...............
    Attached Images Attached Images