Thread: G0454 or G0454Z?

G0454 or G0454Z?

I'm in the market for a new wide planer. I wish I would have had the money when Woodsmith had the Powermatic 20" for 1995.00 but I didn't so I am considering the above Grizzly models. I would like to go with the "Z" but I don't know if I will get that much better use out of it over the 0454. Anyone with experience with these models have recommendations. Or if there are others I should be looking at.

Thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Robert foster View Post
    I'm in the market for a new wide planer. I wish I would have had the money when Woodsmith had the Powermatic 20" for 1995.00 but I didn't so I am considering the above Grizzly models. I would like to go with the "Z" but I don't know if I will get that much better use out of it over the 0454. Anyone with experience with these models have recommendations. Or if there are others I should be looking at.

Thanks
    Bob
    Just search the forum for spiral, helical or shelix heads. You will see most who have them on a jointer or planer love them. My vote is ABSOLUTELY get them, not only is it better for highly figured wood it will save money and time in the long run.

Blog Entries
    I recently bought the G0453Z. The decision was easy; I didn't have room for the 20" but I knew I was never buying another knifed machine after running helical heads. Go for the Z. When my purchases get into the $1500 and above ballpark I go for what I want. No way do I want to save a few hundred dollars and get a machine that is just "good". Free advice and worth what you paid ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the 453Z with the spiral head. Now, I cannot imagine having a planer that uses knives. The spiral head performance is simply superior to the traditional knive technology in my experience. Others experience may be different.