Thread: John Keeton, don't yell at me

John Keeton, don't yell at me

African Blackwood 'treen' - yes, it's not a finial and it's expensive, but I've wanted to get more of a feel of what this wood is like to work with. Only made a couple of finials before - this wood is cool to work with (it's also the color of my favorite cat - black, brown, streaky). About 4"
    tall, 2 wheel buffed. Saved the shavings/sawdust for filler material, too. Anyway...more to come!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 08-08-2010 at 8:53 PM.

Mike, you are right - it is really a wonderful wood to turn! This piece is very nice - great style, and I like the beading. If you can finish the piece on the lathe, try sanding to 2,000, and then Ren wax. Makes the Blackwood really look great - brings out all the beautiful shades of color.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Mike, you are right - it is really a wonderful wood to turn! This piece is very nice - great style, and I like the beading. If you can finish the piece on the lathe, try sanding to 2,000, and then Ren wax. Makes the Blackwood really look great - brings out all the beautiful shades of color.
    Ouch. I thought it was finished .

Ooops!! I really didn't word that very well!! What I meant to say is that instead of buffing it, IF it is a piece that lends itself to being finished "while still on the lathe", the Blackwood sands down to 2,000 beautifully, and the Ren wax really pops the color.

Did I do better that time?!?! The way you have it finished is beautiful - just suggesting a way to avoid the buffing process.

good recovery John

BTW, nice piece
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    good recovery John

BTW, nice piece
    Sorry, I'll just back out of here now...

Looks like a fun little project. The African blackwood has a great smell to it, and it is a joy to turn. Like any black surface, it shows scratches readily, so I usually sand to 500 grit then pastewax with steel wool.

that is nice... i also like african blackwood. I have not had a piece bigger than a pen blank however. Mine was solid black and did not have the brown in it... or at least that I could see... I cant see good unless it is a good deal on wood or equipment
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I just can't stop laughing John, but ditto on the 2000. The darker the wood, the more everything shows. Nice job Mike!